Great opportunity to get experience teaching nutrition education in public schools with the organization Wellness in the Schools (WITS)<http://www.wellnessintheschools.org/>. Please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  if interested. See below for more information:

WITS Labs cooking classes are going on NOW and volunteers are needed in the next couple weeks. Take a break from studying to help children in NYC schools get excited about cooking and eating healthy!

Thank you very much for reaching out to Wellness in the Schools (WITS)!  Below is more information about WITS Labs, cooking classes our chefs teach in the classrooms. You would be assisting the chefs to ensure classes run smoothly.  Please note volunteering opportunities are available only in NYC.
• WITS Labs is a series of seasonal cooking classes for children, taught by a WITS Chef.
• Involve tasting seasonal and fresh foods.
• Contain lessons about the essentials of nutrition.
• Involve an exploration of the fundamentals of cooking.
• Provide an introduction to the importance of eating locally and seasonally grown ingredients.

You would be assisting WITS Chefs with setting up, cleaning up, and passing out ingredients.  You would also interact with the children during classes.

WITS Labs are scheduled during regular class periods, each class is about ~45 minutes long, and are taught all day during the school day, from ~8:30am to ~2:30pm, Tuesdays through Fridays.

You do not need to commit to four days at a time; you may select any date(s) and school(s) that work best for you. In order to help WITS Chefs run labs as smoothly as possible, if you are unable to volunteer for the entire day we do ask for a minimum time commitment of several consecutive hours (ex. 8:30-11:30/12 or 11:30-2:30) on the day that you volunteer. There are four sets of WITS Labs during the school year (i.e. September - October, December, March, and May - June); each set runs about 4 weeks long.

We ask our WITS Labs Volunteers to complete an online background check; it's very simple and at no cost to you.