The American Red Cross at Hunter College

Contents:

I) Soup Kitchens

_____________

II) Disaster Services Overview Course

_____________

III) Register to be a Volunteer

Hey folks,

Free CPR classes will be available to volunteers, once they have fulfilled the following requirements.

- In order members to receive CPR training they must be active on Volunteer Connection

--> this means that you must have previously attended volunteer events. Only those who have committed 10+ volunteer hours will be able to participate in the free CPR training.

I: Soup Kitchens

Simply use the poll and we will reach out to you by email so you can confirm your attendance.

Be sure to select the correct event, the numbers to the events below are the same on the poll.

http://doodle.com/poll/ixrkbnr7xwmm2957

Events being led by Jimmy Liu (HEAD VOLUNTEER) from Pre-Dental Society:

1)

EVENT: Pantry and Meal Service at Masbia - Flatbush

WHEN:  Thursday, January 7th 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm.

WHERE: 1372 Coney Island Ave. Brooklyn, NY 11230

BY SUBWAY: B; Q

BY BUS: B6; B6L; B11

Google Maps: http://bit.ly/cHyZeP

WHY: As New York’s only kosher soup kitchen they provide hundreds of hot, nutritious meals on a daily basis. Masbia works to not only feed the hungry, but to provide free, wholesome, and delicious meals for people in a restaurant-style environment, with volunteer waiters serving each person with respect and dignity.

# OF VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: 8

http://doodle.com/poll/ixrkbnr7xwmm2957

2)

EVENT: Pantry and Meal Service at Masbia - Flatbush

WHEN:  Tuesday January 19th 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm.

WHERE: 1372 Coney Island Ave. Brooklyn, NY 11230

BY SUBWAY: B; Q

BY BUS: B6; B6L; B11

Google Maps: http://bit.ly/cHyZeP

WHY: As New York’s only kosher soup kitchen they provide hundreds of hot, nutritious meals on a daily basis. Masbia works to not only feed the hungry, but to provide free, wholesome, and delicious meals for people in a restaurant-style environment, with volunteer waiters serving each person with respect and dignity.

# OF VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: 5

http://doodle.com/poll/ixrkbnr7xwmm2957

HUGE CLUB EVENT SO THAT EVERYONE CAN KNOW EACHOTHER:

3)

EVENT: Mad Science Night (Change For Kids)

WHEN:  Wednesday, January 13th, 2016 4pm to 8 pm.

WHERE: P.S. 160; 109-59 Inwood Street, Jamaica Queens, 11435

By Subway--take the J, Z or E train to Sutphin Blvd/Archer Avenue station. From there, take the Q6 bus (or a $2 "six cab") towards Jamaica and get off at 110 Avenue (Brinkerhoff Avenue). Walk down Brinkerhoff Ave until you get to Inwood Street

WHY: Help students and their families explore science topics through engaging experiments and games focusing on the natural and environmental sciences.

# OF VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: 10-15

http://doodle.com/poll/vcyt8eauswyqxuvc

Hosted by Rubaya (SECRETARY):

4)

EVENT: DOROT Winter Package Delivery

WHEN:  Sunday, January 31st 10:30 AM to 1 PM

WHERE: Upper West Side, Manhattan - 83rd St (near B/C train at 81st Street Museum of Natural History)

WHY: Visit and deliver meals to homebound seniors on Manhattan's Upper West Side with DOROT, an organization that provides support to homebound and homeless seniors. These seniors often miss social interaction and would truly appreciate a warm meal and some good company this winter! Photo ID is required to participate.

# OF VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: 7

http://doodle.com/poll/vcyt8eauswyqxuvc

Hosted by Labanya

5)

EVENT:  Food Bank NYC Prep and Serve

WHEN: Tuesday, January 19th 10:30 AM to 3 PM

WHERE: Community Kitchen & Pantry - 252 W 116th Street New York, NY.

WHY: The Community Kitchen & Food Pantry has offered New Yorkers in need direct food service since 1984. Their full-service soup kitchen and food pantry helps provide more than 50,000 free meals each month. Assist in Chopping, mixing, and preparing food for use at the nightly dinner service, serving up to 500 New Yorkers at the Community Kitchen in West Harlem. You'll also serve a fresh hot meal to our senior clients!

# OF VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: 5

http://doodle.com/poll/vcyt8eauswyqxuvc

______________________________________

II: Disaster Services Overview Course

A few of you expressed your interest to participate in Red Cross specific Events. I have created a poll with some random dates in mind for a DSO class to be held. If we can all select one day, we'll be in business. I've included a link to a poll below. You will also receive volunteer hours for attending the course.

The class covers the entire disaster cycle- how to prepare for disasters, how to respond to them, and how to recover from them.
The class is expected to be 45 minutes to 1 hour. With a tour of communications and the garage where response vehicles are held !

This is an excellent opportunity to learn about the various volunteer opportunities available for American Red Cross volunteers in the Greater New York Area; Response, Communications, Logistics etc.

There are no limitations on seating.

http://doodle.com/poll/4t3aiqc8medxntuh

III: Become a Volunteer

We are accepting volunteers throughout the academic year. Use the link that corresponds to you:

Prospective members above the age of 18 use this link:

https://volunteerconnection.redcross.org/?nd=intake&entry_point_id=1260&unit_id=236&logout=1

Prospective members under the age of 18, use this link:

https://volunteerconnection.redcross.org/?nd=intake&entry_point_id=4546&unit_id=236&logout=1

Choose ' The Greater New York Area" as your chapter.

Once you have cleared your background check, which shouldn't take longer than a week,  You can begin volunteering to our American Red Cross Affiliated Events. An orientation should be completed during the registration process.

While you wait for the completion of your registration you may participate in an event the club is collaborating with.

Information on active events are posted on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/The-American-Red-Cross-at-Hunter-College-426064877453250/timeline/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Instagram @redcrosshuntercollege

You are also welcome to email us at [log in to unmask] to inquire about volunteer opportunities currently ongoing.