Attention Medical and Graduate Students, Residents, Physicians, Faculty, Undergraduates, and High School Students: Attend the Latino Medical Student Association Northeast Regional Conference!

FEBRUARY 20, 2016

On behalf of the Executive Council of the Northeast Latino Medical Student Association and the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth we would like to invite you to attend our 43rd Annual Regional Conference.  The conference will take place at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center on Saturday, February 20, 2016.  Our theme for the conference, “Fortaleciendo Raíces: Uniting efforts in the changing face of healthcare,” represents the desire of our organization to address the health of Latinos through partnerships with academic institutions, medical educators, government officials, and the community.

The purpose of our regional conference is to bring together more than 200 high school students, premedical students, medical students, graduating physicians, residents, and practicing physicians interested in serving the healthcare needs of the Hispanic community. To this end, the conference will include a series of workshops on the healthcare needs of the Latino community, student leadership training, and healthcare policy as well as several networking events.  Given the theme this year on collaboration in health care, our conference will especially focus on how to partner with each other, with medical and research institutions, and with the Latino community itself to address Latino health disparities.

Sincerely,
Adrianna Stanley, MSII
Fernando Vazquez, MSII
LMSA Conference Co-Coordinators
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Schedule Highlights

  • Exhibitor Fair
    • Residency Programs
    • Post-Baccalaureate Programs
    • Fellowship Opportunities
    • Medical School Admissions
    • If you are interested in exhibiting your school or program click here!
  • Poster Session
  • Cocktail Gala
    • Network with medical students, residents, and faculty physicians
  • Awards Ceremony

WORKSHOPS

  • Acing the Medical School Admissions Process
  • Residency Matching: The Next Step
  • Financing Medical School
  • Rural Medicine: A focus on Dartmouth's Migrant Health Program
  • Latinos as Leaders in Medicine
  • Delivering Healthcare in Underserved Populations
  • Ethnomedicine and Cultural Competency in practice
  • Strategies for USMLE Step I and II
  • Academic Medicine: The role of underrepresented minorities
  • Women in Medicine
  • Clinical and Surgical Skills Workshops
  • Hands-on imaging session with Dartmouth Radiology
  • Greater Lawrence Family Medicine Residency panel workshop

FEATURED SPEAKERS

Dr. Kenneth Dominguez is a medical epidemiologist on the Prevention for Negatives Team—biomedical intervention activity in the CDC’s Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, Epidemiology Branch. He has worked with CDC as a medical epidemiologist since 1993 and is especially interested in decreasing mother-to-child HIV transmission, improving the quality of life and survival of HIV-infected children, and biomedical interventions to prevent HIV transmission in all age groups. Dr. Dominguez serves as federal liaison to the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Pediatric AIDS and is the CDC spokesperson for several HIV campaigns. Through various CDC training programs, Dr. Dominguez mentors junior scientists and student interns. He was instrumental in helping co-organize CDC’s first Hispanic/Latino Health Workgroup, a scientific workgroup focused on improving Hispanic health in the US.

Dr. Dominguez received both a medical degree and master’s in public health degree at Columbia University and a bachelor’s degree from Harvard University. He completed residency training in pediatrics and preventive medicine at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, California, and at the CDC in Atlanta. He also trained as an Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) Officer through CDC at the Puerto Rico Department of Health. Dr. Dominguez became a Commissioned Officer in the US Public Health Service in 1991.

Chidi Chike Achebe MD, MPH, MBA is a physician executive. He is currently the Chairman and CEO of AIDE - African Integrated Development Enterprise. He has served as the President and CEO of Harvard Street Neighborhood Health Center as well as Medical Director of the Whittier Street Health Center and as Assistant Professor at Tufts University School of Medicine. Achebe is the third child of Professor Christie Chinwe Okoli-Achebe and the late Chinua Achebe- Nigerian politician, diplomat, novelist, poet, critic, and David and Marianna Fisher University professor emeritus at Brown University - widely regarded as the "father of modern African literature" and best known for the trilogy of classic African novels Things Fall Apart (1958); "No Longer at Ease" (1960); and "Arrow of God" (1964). Dr. Chidi Achebe graduated from the Geisel School of Medicine in 1996.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

This email was sent to [log in to unmask]
LMSA Northeast · Geisel School of Medicine · 1 Rope Ferry Road · Hanover, NH 03755 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp