Resources for Emergency Food Providers

View this email in your browser

News in Anti-Hunger Work

The USDA is proposing policies to improve food access and healthy choices for low-income Americans by requiring stores that accept SNAP to carry healthier food options.  Read their full press release here.

Beginning in April, many States will begin revoking SNAP benefits to able bodied, working adults, increasing hunger for an estimated one million people.

Though emergency food is not a permanent solution to this issue, anyone can call our USDA National Hunger Hotline from 8 AM- 8 PM EST for additional assistance as they navigate being unable to utilize the SNAP program.

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities is working to combat the waiver expirations across the US.  Let them know how you feel about the waiver expirations on their twitter @CenterOnBudget or by using #SNAPMatters in your tweets.

Anti-Hunger Grants:

The USDA is announcing a nutrition training grant for organizations seeking further funding: http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/team-nutrition-training-grants

Action for Healthy Kids is granting over $1.6 million to schools to either grow or develop their school breakfast programs; or to establish physical activity and nutrition education initiatives. Deadline April 1st: http://www.actionforhealthykids.org/tools-for-schools/apply-for-grants

Walmart is issuing Community Impact Grants from February 1st, to December 31st, 2016 for organizations seeking additional funding.  To apply, follow this link: http://giving.walmart.com/apply-for-grants/local-giving

Best Practices From Across the Country

Each month, Hunger Free America will highlight a best practice in anti-hunger from one of our partner organizations and VISTA members from across the country. The emergency food providers that we partner with are a part of the National Clearinghouse Database; it's easy to add your organization to the database too. This month we will highlight Sonia Rocha and the South Texas Food Bank.

Sonia Rocha, AHOC member with the South Texas Food Bank, visited her local SNAP office to better understand the roles and personalities of the staff. Specifically, she identified key decision makers and friendly individuals with whom it was important to get to know and cultivate relationships. Sonia explains that, “In order to get someone’s attention and eventually your point across, you need to know who you are talking to and where they rank on the organizational chart. If you introduce an idea that a partner buys into, they begin working together towards your goals. Visiting them and getting to know the person working, not just the title, better helped me to get my point across, sell my idea, and eventually get everyone on board with what I needed from them.”

USDA National Hunger Clearinghouse

Hunger Free America is operating the USDA National Hunger Clearinghouse Database as well as the National Hunger Hotline.

  • The National Hunger Hotline is a great resource for people needing assistance accessing the online database. Anyone can call in between the hours of 8 AM and 8 PM EST, to talk to a person about the food resources near them in English or Spanish.
  • During summer months, the hotline provides information about meal sites where children 18 years old and under can get free, nutritious meals through the USDA Summer Food Service Program.
  • If you are an emergency food provider and would like to be added to the National Clearinghouse Database, follow this link: http://nhc.fns.usda.gov/nhc/submit

The hotline can be reached at 1-866-3-HUNGRY (1-866-348-6479) or 1-877-8-HAMBRE (1-877-842-6273) for Spanish, from Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.

A RESOURCE FOR EMERGENCY FOOD PROVIDERS
This newsletter is intended to serve as a resource for our network of Emergency Food Providers, as well as the people who signed up to receive it. To submit information for future issues, contact Magen at [log in to unmask]
.

This is a project of Hunger Free America.
50 Broad Street, Suite 1520, NY, NY 10004 | [log in to unmask]