Hunter College

NYC Food Policy Watch

April  2016

The Advocate:

Interview with Saru Jayaraman, Good Food Job Crusader

#Saru Jayaraman is the Co-Founder and Co-Director of the #Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC United) and Director of the Food Labor Research Center at University of California, Berkeley. ROC United has more than 18,000 worker members, 150 employer partners, and several thousand consumer members in more than 30 cities nationwide. Saru is a graduate of Yale Law School and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.

Read more here>>>

Food Policy for Breakfast Seminar Series

Nutrition Incentives:

Michel Nischan, Wholesome Wave

Food Policy for Breakfast Seminar Series

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Speaker

Michel Nischan , Founder, Wholesome Wave

Panelists

Barbara J. Turk,  Director of Food Policy, Mayor's Office

Gary Glowaczeski, Farmer

Seminar will be held:

Hunter College

Silberman Building

2180 Third Avenue, Auditorium

New York, NY 10035

8:45am - 10:15am

Hot Coffee and a "Real" Healthy Breakfast Will Be Served Starting at 8:30am

Make Sure To RSVP Soon - Seating is Limited - Event is Free

Food System Movement

21 New York Organizations Working

to Transform the Food System

The Youth Farm

The UN Food and Agriculture Organization the role that food systems play in human and environmental health. By working to change the current food system and shifting the way food is produced, procured, stored, transported, and distributed, organizations can improve nutrition and contribute to environmental sustainability.

In the Loop

Must See Food Movies & TV Just for Foodies

Films, short videos, and television shows can be meaningful and entertaining ways of increasing awareness of and interest in food policy and the complex issues within our food system. Film has the ability to transport viewers from America's heartland to an urban farm in Los Angeles. Film allows viewers to follow the plight of Haitian sugar plantation workers and migrant child farmworkers while investigating the larger issues that fail to protect farmworkers' rights.

Read more here>>>

The Latest Food Policy News

How Urban Farms Are Changing the Way We Eat (Eater)

Milk Jumps Onto the Small-Batch Bandwagon (NY Times)

Costco Lends Money to Farmer to Buy More Land to Meet Growing Demand for Organics (Ecowatch)

Obama's food security initiative advances (Politico)

Food Policy Journal Watch

Mindfulness-based eating awareness helps adolescents eat healthier foods, be more active (International Journal of Complementary & Alternative Medicine)

Can more fiber restore microbiome diversity? (Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism)

Paper-based test could help prevent food poisoning (Analytical Chemistry)

New York City Food Policy Watch is the monthly e-newsletter of the New York City Food Policy Center at Hunter College. We keep an eye on food policy in New York City and on urban food policy around the nation and the world. We also provide updates on our own policy analyses and research activities and on the food policy activities of City University of New York faculty, students and staff.

To subscribe to our newsletter click here >>>

 Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter

NYC Food Policy Center at Hunter College, 2180 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10035

Sent by [log in to unmask] in collaboration with