Catch up: New Report on GMO Crops, a Proposal to Regulate 'Sell By' Date on Food Labels, and the Effect of Grocery Store Hours on Food Access

A weekly rundown of food politics stories from Civil Eats

View this email in your browser

Share

Tweet

Sustaining Civil Eats
Not a site subscriber yet? Please consider paying $25/year to get full access to everything we publish all year long.

Is High Pressure Pasteurization Too Good to Be True?
By Jody Berger on May 24, 2016
Scientist say the technology—which is making juice and other fresh foods shelf-stable—holds up under scrutiny.

When it Comes to Food Access, are Grocery Store Hours as Important as Location?
By Virginia Pelley on May 23, 2016
New research takes on an overlooked aspect of the national conversation about ‘food deserts.’

Does Your Food Define You? Sophie Egan Thinks So.
By Teresa Finney on May 20, 2016
A new book by a program director at the Culinary Institute of America takes a close look at the ways our culture shapes our eating habits.

To Eat or Not to Eat? The Food Date Labeling Act Could Help You Decide
By Padma Nagappan on May 19, 2016
We toss so much food because we’re not sure if it’s safe to eat past the ‘sell by’ date. A federal bill proposed yesterday would standardize food date labels and could reduce waste in the process.

National Academies of Sciences Calls for Greater Transparency on GMOs
By Elizabeth Grossman on May 18, 2016
New report says genetically engineered crops are safe to eat but weed resistance and other unanswered environmental questions should be cause for more regulatory oversight.

All the News That's Fit to Eat
By Krista Holobar on May 20, 2016
FLOTUS Announces New Nutrition Labels, Big Produce’s Labor Promises, and an Organic Compromise.

Share

Tweet

Civil Eats promotes critical thought about sustainable agriculture and food systems.

Copyright © 2016 Civil Eats. All rights reserved.
You received this email because you subscribed through the site or your Twitter account.

Our mailing address is:

Civil Eats

123 Main Street

Oakland, CA 94608