Cheer on Mars Food for committing to lowering sodium in their products
Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your browser.
To ensure proper delivery of future American Heart Association emails, Add us to your safe senders list
May 2016

  LEARN

Sodium and Your Health

Sodium is an essential mineral for health. But the average American is eating almost twice the amount that our bodies need. Too much sodium can lead to serious health issues, including high blood pressure.

May is High Blood Pressure Awareness Month. Learn how sodium can affect your health and find out why high blood pressure is called “the silent killer.”

Share This:Facebook twitter  linkedin

  WRITE

This Food Company Just Changed the Game

Mars Food, maker of Uncle Ben’s® and other foods you may enjoy, recently announced a commitment to reduce sodium by an average of 20% in select foods by 2021. They also urged the government to set voluntary sodium guidelines that the food industry can adopt.

Let the President of Mars Food know that you applaud their sodium reduction commitment and their leadership.

  MAKE

Tomato & Ricotta Toast

Have you heard? Toast is trending, and it’s not just for breakfast anymore! This easy Simple Cooking with Heart toast recipe makes a great lunch or afternoon snack. Save it to your Recipe Box today!

Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the AHA’s Simple Cooking with Heart Program. The Simple Cooking with Heart program empowers and excites families to come together in their home kitchens to enjoy simple, quick and affordable meals while learning basic cooking skills. Visit heart.org/simplecooking.

EXPLORE

Every 40 seconds, someone has a stroke in the U.S., but 80% of all strokes can be prevented. Learn these 5 things every stroke hero should know.

EXPLORE

World Hypertension Day is May 17
Help achieve the international goal of 3 million blood pressure screenings. Have your blood pressure checked between April 17 and May 17. Then visit www.heart.org/hbp and click on the "I know my numbers" button to let us know you did your part.

  PLANT

Garden Community

Plan and plant your Spring garden with the help of our latest blog post. Join our Garden Community today!

MOVE

In honor of the nearly 6 million Americans living with heart failure, we’re encouraging America to take 6 million steps together. Join our Red Steps Challenge and help us Rise Above Heart Failure. #RiseAboveHF

MOVE

It’s a fact: active kids perform better in school. But more and more physical education programs are being cut every day. Help set our kids up for a lifetime of health. Show your support for PE in schools.

SHARE

Share our infographic of the top sodium myths for kids!

SHARE

Share our Sodium Myths infographic!

WATCH
  Thinking about buying your prescription medication online? Learn how to identify a safe, legal online pharmacy at www.fda.gov/BeSafeRx.
  Learn which pepper to pick based on its flavor profile.

SHOP

The fourth edition of our Low-Salt Cookbook is filled with more than 50 new recipes from less salty snacks to alternatives to your favorite high-sodium dinners. It also covers shopping and cooking smart, eating well, and living a healthy lifestyle.

SHOP

May is American Stroke Month. Show your support with the new ALEX AND ANI® Wings of Change charm bangle, created for the American Stroke Association!

When you shop at ShopHeart a portion of your purchase helps fund the AHA/ASA’s work.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest
Healthy Living | Healthy Kids | Get Active | Give

| Forward this Message | Subscribe to this newsletter

To be removed from this email/newsletter list, please use the link below and follow the instructions.

Remove my address from only this email/newsletter list

Remove my address from all association mailings

You will be removed from the email/newsletter list within 24 hours.

Privacy Policy | Ethics Policy | Conflict of Interest Policy

American Heart Association
Attn: Email Subscriptions Group
7272 Greenville Ave. Dallas, TX 75231

[log in to unmask]" width="1" height="1" border="0">