[http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/images/stationary/fww-general/spacer.jpg]

[Food & Water Watch]<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=4lYEhRmKAh0NLeNp-Bo7kQ>

[http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/images/stationary/fww-general/email_topbar.jpg]

GMOs and Foods Grown With Chemical Pesticides Can Be Labeled "Natural"?!?
PETITION to FDA: Get Rid of "Natural" Labels!<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=3N60sK97FKgFxCsDdT8Hwg>
[http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/images/stationary/fww-general/spacer.gif]

Tuesday Deadline

[Should food with chemicals be labeled natural?]

The FDA Should NOT Allow Chemical-Laden Foods to Be Labeled "Natural"!
<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=Fo3AkBnvluIxTg5z-Wk6lw>

Dear Arlene,

I can't believe what's allowed to be labeled "Natural":

  *   Foods that contain genetically engineered ingredients.
  *   Foods grown with chemicals and sewage sludge.
  *   Foods that contain synthetic chemicals.

We have until Tuesday to tell the FDA to get rid of the misleading "Natural" label.<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=YHuaSJVlEiNzkddaFbgC0A>

Last December, our friends at Consumers Union conducted a poll and found that at least 60% of consumers believed that the term “Natural” on packaged and processed food meant that the food was produced without pesticides, artificial ingredients or GMOs. But this isn’t what Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards require!

The FDA regulates most food products (except meat, milk and eggs), yet it has very minimal standards for what foods can have the "Natural" label. The FDA says you can’t use the "Natural" label on foods that contain added colors, synthetic substances or flavors, but the FDA doesn’t have any standards about whether the food contains GMO ingredients or ingredients produced with synthetic pesticides.

Tell the FDA to end the use of misleading "Natural" labels!<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=epPHk6ckwiLyoaXFhUE1dA>

There have been more than 100 lawsuits against specific companies like Chobani Yogurt, Quaker Oats, Kashi, Kraft and even Whole Foods, alleging that these companies are using the term “Natural” on their products to mislead consumers, because the products contain artificial or GMO ingredients. Now the FDA wants to hear from us to help sort this out. The FDA even references the lawsuits in their notice asking for public input on this!

Our allies at Consumers Union have petitioned the FDA to ban the use of the word on the foods they regulate, and we agree! These misleading labels shouldn't be on supermarket shelves.

But Big Food's trade association — the Grocery Manufacturers Association — wants to keep these labels, and has petitioned the FDA to allow the use of the word "Natural" on products containing GMOs. It's critical that the FDA hears from YOU. Submit your comment today.<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=q43VrLMrjc9cQPeXzrr5tA>

On top of all of this, the Consumers Union poll also found that more consumers look for the natural label (59%) than for certified organic products (49%).

The certified organic label is tied to a more extensive set of standards that does prohibit the use of GMOs and synthetic pesticides, fertilizers and other inputs like sewage sludge, and "Natural" doesn’t have those restrictions. This means that "Natural" label products are undercutting certified organic products, even though organics go through a much more rigorous certification.

Can you join us in telling the FDA to get rid of misleading "Natural" labels on products that contain chemical additives and GMOs?<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=0LlgWEbGT6v5qXbo9PUvYw>

Thanks for taking action,

[Sarah A.]

Sarah Alexander
Deputy Organizing Director
Food & Water Watch
act(at)fwwatch(dot)org

Donate »<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=ZGumbO4YngTM-k-M9TjE0A>

View Online<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=z1YJvA3xM2SlmRPGTkCJ9g>  •  Visit Our Website<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=ldRjJ9EBX2tmoCsmCRdMBQ>  •  Contact Us<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=_Y-zo0j9dq32Xf_T75bRNA>  •  Share This:

[On Facebook]<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=d8EPtCzvN8gtGzgcqfI_ng>

[On Twitter]<http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/site/R?i=mXTVFKv190pzV5L3qk7Piw>

[http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/images/stationary/fww-general/spacer.jpg]

[http://act.foodandwaterwatch.org/images/stationary/fww-general/email_bottombar.jpg]