From: Colin Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: June 22, 2016 at 10:06:38 AM EDT
To: NANA Coalition <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Bill to eliminate tax deduction for junk food marketing to kids

Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) recently introduced the Stop Subsidizing Childhood Obesity Act (S. 2936/H.R. 5232) which would eliminate the tax deduction for marketing junk food to children.  For more information about the bill, please see our fact sheet.  You can also read Sen. Blumenthal and Rep. DeLauro’s press release here.

Will you help take action to support the bill and spread the news?

  • If you have not already done so, please let me know if your organization supports the bill.  The current list of signatories are attached.
  • Email your members of Congress to urge them to cosponsor the bill.  Individuals can find a draft email at http://ow.ly/KW2z300aEeb.  Organizations, please let us know if you can mobilize your members to write to Congress (feel free to use this alert as a model).
  • Share information and mobilize your members via social media.  Below are some models.

Twitter

  • DYK companies get a tax break for marketing junk food to kids? Urge Congress to #StopSubsidizingObesity http://ow.ly/KW2z300aEeb
  • Taxpayers shouldn’t help pay for food companies to market junk food to kids. #StopSubsidizingObesity http://ow.ly/KW2z300aEeb
  • TY @SenBlumenthal & @rosadelauro for helping to reduce junk food marketing to kids. #StopSubsidizingObesity http://ow.ly/KW2z300aEeb

Facebook

  • With one-third of kids overweight or obese, companies should not get a tax break for marketing junk food to kids.  Ask your members of Congress to support the Stop Subsidizing Childhood Obesity Act.  #StopSubsidizingObesity http://ow.ly/KW2z300aEeb

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks,

Colin

Colin Schwartz

Senior Nutrition Policy Associate

Center for Science in the Public Interest

1220 L Street, NW, Suite 300

Washington, D.C. 20005

202-777-8387

www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy