Pre-Vet Newsletter

June 2016

Veterinary and Animal Experiences

Gaining veterinary and animal experiences is important preparation for your application and the veterinary curriculum.  As you gain experiences make sure you note dates, hours worked, and responsibilities.  For more information visit our web site.

Advice from a Cornell Vet Student

            Lauren, Class of 2019

When did you first decide you wanted to be a veterinarian?

When I was around eight years old, I switched from wanting to be a dentist to becoming a veterinarian. Interestingly, I have never had any pets, but my love of animals and goal to provide and improve care for them has gotten me this far!

What did you do to prepare?

I started by shadowing a small animal private practice veterinarian in high school and asking my aunt, who's a veterinary technician, lots of questions. I continued by shadowing nearly all the veterinarians in my hometown (about eight, large and small animal and some ambulatory) at least once to get a sense of the different aspects of the profession. I also toured Cornell University School of Veterinary Medicine back when I was a sophomore in high school. I erroneously thought that I could go to vet school without undergraduate schooling at the time.

What advice do you have for high school students who are interested in becoming a vet?

If you are seriously interested in becoming a vet, talk to veterinarians, veterinary students and other pre-veterinary peers and college students. Hearing their perspectives and really understanding the veterinary occupation as well as the processes behind becoming a veterinarian are imperative before you jump in.

Vet School

Admissions Presentations & Tours

Friday, July 8th from 2:00-4:00

Friday, August 5th from 3:00-5:00

Cornell on the Road

Health Professions Fair

Saturday, June 18th, 1:30-3:30

Minneapolis Hilton

Prospective Student & Alumni Reception

Thursday, July 7th at 7:00pm

Stamford, CT

(Contact us for details)

Virtual Fair

Please join us for the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges Virtual Fair on July, 14 2016 from 2:00-10:00pm ET.  Live Text Chat hours for Cornell will be 2:00-4:00 and 8:00-10:00

(details available soon)

Cornell University

College of Veterinary Medicine

Office of Admissions

Schurman Hall, S2-009

Ithaca, NY 14853

(607) 253-3700

STAY CONNECTED

Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter   View our profile on LinkedIn   View our videos on YouTube    View on Instagram    Find us on Google+

Cornell University, Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY 14853