From: Ryan Sankar <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:47 PM
To: Sankar, Ryan
Subject: Final Call for Marathon with Mt. Sinai

Hey folks--

Marathon collab with Mt Sinai:

We are allowing 30 people to represent Red Cross at this event. Deadline is on Wednesday, August 31st.

A few of you haven't filled out all details on the spreadsheet, please update it as soon as possible. Today, is the final day to register!!

Fill out this spreadsheet,Spreadsheet! and follow the instructions below.

Join Us!

SINAI’s NYC MARATHON FINISHLINE TENT:

Sunday, NOV. 6, 2016

Application deadline: Aug. 31, 2016

It's that time of year again- mark your calendars (and make your "OFF" requests) for the NYC Marathon, Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016!  We will be running the busiest finish line tent again this year- the famous or perhaps infamous "P5".  In 2015, we cared for 2010(!!!) athletes.

We need loads of volunteers of all types including non-medical people (so if you have friends or relatives that want to come along, feel free to invite them).

We take care of all sorts of problems ranging from simple blisters/wounds/sprains/cramps to nausea/dizziness/dehydration/chest pain/etc. Medical care in the tent includes: PO hydration, wound care, stretches/massage for muscle cramping, strain/sprain care, tylenol and a whole lot of TLC. For the sicker patients, we can give IV fluids, run basic electrolytes, check EKG's, give asthma nebulizers, and administer a limited number of IV medications. The team captains and myself will determine if a patient is too ill to be cared for in our tent and we will call EMS to transport them to the nearest hospital.

You usually need to be there from 9am until around 5-6pm the day of the race (If you need to leave early, that's okay, just let me know. But you do need to be there for team planning in the morning.)  You will also need to attend one of the volunteer meetings on the evenings of TU Oct 18 or WED Oct 19 at 6:30p at the Skirball Center on the NYU campus downtown.  At the meeting you will be "oriented" and pick up your credentials and FREE t-shirts:)  You MUST attend one of these meetings to volunteer.  There is usually a Saturday (11/5) make-up session the day before the race if you are absolutely unable to attend one of the other meetings but space is limited so try to attend one of the meetings the week before.

Again, the application deadline is Aug. 31, 2016 (earlier than it has been in the past.)  If you would like to join us but you are not sure of your schedule yet, just sign up and you can cancel later if need be.

Hope you can join us! It's a heck of a lotta fun (ask anyone who has joined us in the past:)!
If you have any questions- just let me know.

-Lori Montagna, MD, Chief Medical Officer, P5 NYC Marathon

Former Asst Prof of Emergency Medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Current Asst Prof of Emergency Medicine at University of Colorado School of Medicine

HOW TO APPLY:

(If you are a licensed medical professional, have your scanned license ready for upload at the time of your application.)
Go to:

https://mynyrr.nyrr.org/login.aspx

If you are an NYRR member or if you have volunteered before, enter your details and click on "log in".  If you do not remember your password, click on "(forgot password?)" and enter your email address. They will send a link to your email address to reset your password.

If you have not registered with NYRR before, click on the grey box on the right "register with NYRR". Complete your personal information as requested.

After you have logged in, look at the option column on the left and click “Volunteer”.

Then look at the middle of the screen at the volunteer options and click on “volunteer” option forMEDICAL: 2016 TCS New York City Marathon (does not count for +1) (Medical Volunteer)

Under “Step 1” click on what you do in “real life”.

If you are any type of physician resident, click “medical resident”.

If you are a medical/nursing/PT/massage therapy student, click “student”.

If you have no medical training whatever or you are a non-medically-related student including undergrad (including pre-med/pre-health care professional) or high school student, click “other”.(And don’t worry, we need you!!)

Click “NEXT”.

Under “Step 2”:

Preferred location: Manhattan

Orientation: Select your preferred date

Shirt size: Select your preferred shirt size

How did you hear about us?: my group is participating

Medical certification:

Again, click on what you do in “real life”.

Specialty:

If you click “physician” of any sort, please type your specialty under “specialty” AND if you are a residentplease include your year. (For ex- EM2, IM3, etc.) This helps us balance the teams.

If you click “other (medical)” or “other (non-medical), please type your actual profession under“specialty”.  This helps us make appropriate group assignments.

If you click “student”, under specialty, please enter what type of student you are (For ex- undergraduate, medical, nursing, PT, podiatry, etc.) AND PLEASE also include your year (For ex- MS4, nursing 1).  This helps us assign you to appropriate duties.

Affiliation/hospital/school:

Type “Mount Sinai”/ (your other institution) or simply Mount Sinai. (For ex- “Mount Sinai/Columbia”, “Mount Sinai/NYH”)

Group name:

Click "P5 - Mount Sinai-Jacobi" THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MINIMIZE THE CHANCE OF BEING ASSIGNED TO THE WRONG SITE.

If you are a licensed medical professional, be sure to upload your license.  This is important for malpractice coverage. If you are a resident or student, you do not need to worry about this.

If you have a CPR certificate, please upload it; if not, don't worry about it.

Sign off on legal documents- if you wish.

Make sure you receive confirmation that affirms acceptance of your application.  This will be in the form of a grey box at the top of the screen that starts off with “Here are the details:”

See you all at the meeting on Friday!

Best,
Ryan A. Sankar
President of the American Red Cross at Hunter College
Service Chair of the Regional Campus Council for Youth Services