From: HarborLAB [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of HarborLAB
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 5:32 PM
To: Diane Brows <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Nov 7: Seedball Workshop!

11/7: Learn to teach ecology through seedball making!

View this email in your browser<http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6a98f2051a054d52644882ed7&id=797142552d&e=b6b9e726ee>

[Image removed by sender.]

Learn How to Start a Seedball Circle! (FREE)
Come learn from HarborLAB the craft of seedball making, which can be a fun cold weather social activity, like a knitting circle with mud.  :)

Seedballs help:propagate native plants that:

  *   strengthen shorelines
  *   protect dunes
  *   buffer storm surge
  *   reduce sewer overflows by absorbing rainwater runoffs
  *   feed beneficial insects and birds
  *   shelter shorebird nests.
When:
Nov. 7, 6PM-8PM.  (This was postponed from Oct 20.)

Where:
LaGuardia Community College, Room C-411
Map: http://www.laguardia.edu/maps/

Volunteers can learn to lead seedball making activity days at schools and community centers on behalf of HarborLAB and guests can bring this knowledge back to their own organizations and peers.We especially encourage teachers to join us. Our presentation will be based on one developed by HarborLAB Executive Director Erik Baard for the National Wildlife Federation's annual teacher training program.

We'll start with a 45-minute presentation on the benefits of seedball making as a science teaching tool, and then make seedballs for an hour, during which we'll have Q&A and an informal discussion of the material until folks are ready to just socialize.

Everyone helps clean up from 745pm-8pm.

We'll equip you with the knowledge and some literature to teach:

1) How to identify some great seeds to gather or where to buy them.
2) Why seedballs are useful and how the practice started.
3) How seeds are spread in nature.
4) How some seeds germinate.
5) How to make seedballs!

Let's potluck light beverages and snacks!

To participate and receive details and updates, please email [log in to unmask] with the subject "Nov 7 seedball workshop."  This way we'll know how much space, materials, and literature we'll need. If you want to bring seedballs home with you, bring a sturdy pizza box!

Many thanks to Anne Apparu-Hall and Edward T. Hall III of Seedball.us<http://harborlab.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6a98f2051a054d52644882ed7&id=9e57566cbd&e=b6b9e726ee> for getting HarborLAB started in the seedball world!

We give great thanks to HarborLAB volunteer Thomas Dieter, director of CUNY Start at LaGuardia Community College, for reserving this room for us. Let's leave it clean and orderly. THANKS!

[Image removed by sender.]<http://harborlab.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6a98f2051a054d52644882ed7&id=8916e9448f&e=b6b9e726ee>

[Image removed by sender.]<http://harborlab.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6a98f2051a054d52644882ed7&id=9a3270d501&e=b6b9e726ee>

[Image removed by sender.]<http://harborlab.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6a98f2051a054d52644882ed7&id=d31b31c1bf&e=b6b9e726ee>

Copyright © 2016 HarborLAB, All rights reserved.
Activities, events, and volunteer opportunities with your environmental education paddling friends!

Our mailing address is:
HarborLAB
53-21 Vernon Boulevard
LIC, NY 11101