Applying to dental school as an international dentist

This is today's post from Mouthing Off, blog of the American Student Dental Association.

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

Today's post:

Applying to dental school as an international dentist

By Shruti Singh on May 03, 2017 08:00 am

Shruti at the University of Michigan for an interview, 2014.

I wanted to improve my skills after graduation in 2011. I had received my Bachelor of Dental Surgery in India and desired advanced training. I decided to apply to an accredited U.S. dental school.

The decision seemed simple, but I soon realized the amount of materials required for the application. I needed to take assessments like the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) examination. I had to apply to schools using the American Dental Education Association Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (ADEA CAAPID). Many schools required supplemental documents as a part of the application. I also needed to prepare for interviews and for the bench examinations. International dentists encounter several barriers during the application process when applying to dental schools.

First, international dentists must secure a U.S. visa to take the NBDE and TOEFL iBT. Visitor visas are not generally issued for taking the exams. One option is to enroll in a Master’s program. Once enrolled, students are eligible for a student visa. An alternative option is to apply for a dependent visa. The dependent visa will permit taking the examinations. In numerous cases, foreign dentists fail to receive a visa and do not even apply. Not only is a visa important for examinations, it is important for gaining work experience.

Most of the U.S. schools prefer to see evidence of work experience. Unfortunately, not all international candidates are eligible to work. Even with a visa, some dental centers refuse to let international dentists volunteer as assistants. Personally, I struggled to get work experience because of my visa status. To gain experience, I started volunteering for a community clinic. Only after getting a legal work permit was I able to work as a dental assistant.

Shruti volunteering for the CDA Cares camp at Solano, 2014.

The ADEA CAAPID is for foreign-trained dentists to apply to dental school in the U.S. or Canada. The process is similar to the ADEA Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS). Like the AADSAS, test scores and application fees are submitted to each school applied to. CAAPID fees and supplemental fees add to the financial burden of applying. The application investment can deter qualified applicants. Adding to the fiscal load, students purchase materials to practice for the bench examination.

Shruti practicing for the bench exam.

Bench examinations are administered by individual schools. The exam assesses three major topics: fixed prosthodontics, removable prosthodontics and operative dentistry. Practicing for the bench exam requires dental equipment and instruments. It also requires a typodont, replacement teeth and dental loupes. Multiple schools and private institutes offer preparation courses for the bench test. Course fees can vary greatly between private institutes and public universities. Performance on the bench exam can improve a student’s application and chances to matriculate.

Shruti at an ASDA waxing event at the UCSF School of Dentistry, 2017

Once accepted, the majority of students need to apply for loans to afford tuition. Candidates without a green card are not eligible for federal loans. To obtain private loans, a permanent resident or citizen cosigner is required. Securing a cosigner can be difficult for students. In a few cases, candidates defer admissions due to the absence of a cosigner. Once successful, an international dentist begins the journey to licensure in the U.S.

International dentists value Advanced Standing Programs. They offer an unprecedented opportunity to further education, develop clinical skill and improve manual dexterity. The path for advancement is filled with obstacles. Do not perceive the barriers as hindrances, but steps to becoming licensed in the U.S.

Please refer to ASDA’s “Tips for International Dental Students” for more information on applying.

Shruti Singh, predental member

Read in browser »

share on TwitterLike Applying to dental school as an international dentist on Facebook

More on Mouthing Off:

It’s your license at risk, not theirs
My experience with refugees
Sports dentistry: From final impressions to the NBA Finals
Why I quit med school for dentistry
Tips from a dental attorney: How associate contracts differ in private practice vs. DSO

Like ASDA on Facebook

Forward to a Friend

Join ASDA!

You can join ASDA as a predental, dental student or international dental student. Nearly 92% of all U.S. dental students belong to ASDA, do you? Join ASDA today.

Read ASDA Publications

Other Resources

Be sure to check out ASDA's premier magazine, Contour. Planned, written and edited by dental student volunteers, Contour is shaping the dental student experience.

For both predental and predoctoral resources, visit ASDA's website: ASDAnet.org. Here you'll find tips for choosing a career path, paying off your student loans and more.