#ServeNYC this May!

HAPPENING IN NYC

Get Paid to #ServeNYC

AmeriCorps is a paid opportunity to change lives, starting with yours. NYC Service provides a pathway to #ServeNYC through four distinct AmeriCorps programs where New Yorkers serve 10-12 months with a City agency, nonprofit, or Community School. Our members gain valuable personal and professional experience through service.

Apply by June 16th and share with friends/family!
City Service Corps
NYC Civic Corps
NYC VISTA
NYC Community Schools Corps

Learn More: nyc.gov/servenyc

Good for Me. Good for My City.
Spotlight: American Express

American Express has pledged to engage 2,000 of their NYC-based employees in volunteerism in 2017, and 250 specifically as mentors to high school students. To achieve this goal American Express offers employees biweekly volunteer mentoring opportunities in their office.

John Hall, an employee of American Express, helps #MentorNYC with Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City (BBBS). He mentored his little brother through four years of high school, offering him support and guidance to build confidence, ace school work, and complete college applications.

“I am proud to say that today my little brother is enrolled in a four-year university, out-of-state, and plans to pursue a degree in philosophy," said John Hall. "I like to think our relationship helped make the journey to college a little easier. Most importantly, I hope it made a difference in his life, just as it did in mine.”

To read more about John’s experiences with BBBS, be sure to visit CSR Now! for a full interview on May 30th.

Good for Me. Good for My City.

Spotlight: Brookfield

Brookfield believes that making a positive contribution to the communities in which they operate is fundamental to the way they do business. Through various initiatives, the goal of their corporate citizenship program is to use both their human and financial resources to help enrich the lives of those in need in the communities in which they operate.

On Tuesday, May 9th, the Brookfield Women’s Network partnered with Brookfield Place New York retailers and The Bowery Mission to raise thousands of dollars with Shop for a Cause, a campaign where participating shops donated 10% of sales for the day to The Bowery Mission Women’s Centers. The Shop for a Cause campaign marks the latest partnership between Brookfield and The Bowery Mission, which has served homeless, hungry, and poor New Yorkers since 1879 by providing meals, shelter, medical care and long-term recovery for adults.

National Service Spotlight: Jose Hernandez

AmeriCorps Program: City Service Corps
Host Site: Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA)
School: City College of New York

Jose is from Brooklyn, NY and serves as a City Service Corps member at MOIA helping immigrant New Yorkers connect to City resources in their native language. He has gained the critical thinking and communication skills necessary to explore future career opportunities. Jose's dream job would involve promoting economic and social well-being, particularly among immigrant communities. His advice to anyone considering AmeriCorps:

"It's worth it! It can be very rewarding and you can get on track to a public service, nonprofit, and social entrepreneurship career."

Apply to City Service Corps: nyc.gov/CityServiceCorps

Donating Made Easy

NYC Service works to connect New Yorkers to resources that make donating easy. As part of its Zero Waste initiative, the NYC Department of Sanitation offers an online search directory & mobile app [in Android and iOS] that allows users to enter a zip code to find convenient places to donate goods, as well as organizations that pick up items for donation.

To donate and learn more visit nyc.gov/donate.

VOLUNTER OPPORTUNITIES

Volunteer with iMentor

iMentor is looking for great men to join as mentors for young people in high schools throughout the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan.  As a mentor, you will help guide your mentee as they navigate high school, apply to college, and develop the professional and social-emotional skills needed to succeed!  Through weekly online communication and a monthly in-person meeting, you will help put a student on the path towards success.  Getting started is easy – just go to http://imentor.org/mentor to fill out the online application and learn more.

Woodlawn Clean Up Day

Saturday, June 10th
Meet in front of Woodlawn Playground on Van Cortlandt Park East just south of Oneida Avenue at 10:00 AM.

Learn more and volunteer: http://on.nyc.gov/2riTXMN

Skilled Healthcare Volunteers Needed

The NYC Medical Reserve Corps is made up of highly skilled healthcare professionals who volunteer their skills and time to respond to emergencies, disasters, and public health initiatives.

Learn more and volunteer: http://on.nyc.gov/2ruYY0X

Fight Hunger With New York Cares

You can provide a warm smile, friendly conversation, and the reassurance that someone cares. Volunteer to serve men, women, and children at homeless shelters, churches, and senior centers.

Learn more and volunteer: http://on.nyc.gov/2qvsAxH

Message from NYC Chief Service Officer

May service be the fabric that unites each New Yorker. May we always remember that the path to a stronger City can only be achieved together. Through volunteerism and national service, May we empower and support New Yorkers to continue to serve each other and their City.

8.5 Million New Yorkers. Together, Serving Each Other.

Thank you for your service!

~Paula Gavin

Facebook

Twitter

Website

Copyright © 2017 NYC Service, All rights reserved.