"Any such definition would depart from the lexical meaning (and the current use of the term in AI) unless it allows that there can be pro and con arguments": That is unquestionably so, but I do not understand why the possibility of counterarguments has to be part of the definition itself. I have seen definitions that make it so. For example, Sinnott-Armstrong and Fogelin in the 9th edition of Understanding Arguments define an argument as "giving reasons for or against some claim" (my emphasis). In the current edition they have a different definition that contains nothing corresponding to the "or against" part, and quite rightly so in my view, because it is redundant. If I argue against a claim or position or argument, I must be trying to establish some claim about that claim or position or argument--that it is false, confused, misleading, unwarranted, or whatever.

So to define an argument as, e.g., "an attempt to prove or establish a conclusion" (Robert Ennis's definition in Daryl Close's collection), does not in any way exclude the possibility of an argument being directed against a claim or a position or an argument, as far as I can see.

Miles Rind

Douglas Walton wrote:
I think you should feel free to define argument in a way that best suits the needs of your field or your project. All I was trying to say is that any such definition would depart from the lexical meaning (and the current use of the term in AI) unless it allows that there can be pro and con arguments.

Doug Walton

To unsubscribe from the AILACTD-L list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(AILACTD-L,SIGNOFF);