VCOM wanted to send out a reminder about our reduced secondary application fee for EARLY applicants.  We instituted this process last year and it worked extremely well, helping applicants save money and encouraging early applications (which helps everyone due to rolling admissions).  I am pleased to announce we will offer this option again this year!

At VCOM, one of the challenges that we have heard from you about applying to medical school are the fees.  And, one of the challenges we have encountered is that while many of our applicants apply early, still, about a third apply after October or don’t submit their secondary application right away.  That means by the time we interview some of them, often those are placed on the waitlist if processing takes time or other documents don’t come in timely.

If your students submit their application to AACOMAS by September 15 (always shoot for earlier), along with all required documents such as transcripts, we will then screen for the secondary and if the applicant is invited and completes the secondary application within three weeks of the invitation, we will reduce their secondary fee from $50 to $25.

Also, I wanted to remind you that applicants applying to one, two or three VCOM campuses only need to submit ONE secondary application to VCOM.  Additionally, on our secondary application, all applicants are given the opportunity to rank ALL three VCOM campuses so if they apply to one VCOM campus they can still rank all three VCOM campuses on one secondary application.  Plus, if the applicant submits the AACOMAS and transcripts by September 15 and returns the secondary right away, we will reduce that ONE fee to $25.

In short, we hear you.  It costs a lot for your students to apply and we found this was beneficial to applicants last year so we are pleased to offer it again.  We would love your feedback.

Best Wishes,

William P. King

Vice President for Student Services

VCOM – Virginia, VCOM- Carolinas, VCOM-Auburn