View this email in your browser<http://mailchi.mp/statnews/isyuoki1g1-577169?e=4aad33fd68>

[STAT]<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=d755d394fd&e=4aad33fd68>

Friday, October 6, 2017

[Morning Rounds by Megan Thielking]

Sponsored by
  [https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f8609630ae206654824f897b6/images/06de1a30-0383-410a-99ac-6c5af09cd139.png]

Welcome to Friday, folks, and welcome to Morning Rounds! A quick note: We'll be off on Monday, but back on Tuesday with your daily dose of news.

Scientific awards are overlooking women

The NIH has announced the recipients of its prestigious "pioneer award<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=8ef848049e&e=4aad33fd68>" for scientists using creative strategies to overcome hurdles in research — but of the 12 winners selected, 11 were men. The awards came hot on the heels of the Nobel Prizes this week — all of which went to men when it came to individual work. Bias against women working in science is a deeply troubling, and well-documented, issue: A National Academies report<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=31d70d41f9&e=4aad33fd68> found that women faculty in science not only receive fewer awards, but are paid less, promoted more slowly, and hold fewer leadership positions than men, though the report found those discrepancies aren't due to their work or productivity.

"Women find it disheartening to see the awards in STEM fields so consistently awarded to men," Laura Hoopes of Pomona, who has studied bias against women in science, tells me. "These awards influence grant funding, reputation, and scientific regard," she says, adding that groups like the Association for Women in Science have done important work helping societies find talented women in science to consider for awards.

Plans for a pilot program to track living organ donors

HHS is looking to launch a pilot living donor registry to study the long-term health outcomes of donating a kidney, lobe of a lung, portion of the liver, pancreas, or intestine. More than a dozen transplant programs will ask their potential donors to join the registry. Those who donate will be monitored over time to keep tabs on any potential health impacts; those who don’t can share why they ultimately decided against donating. The goal: Paint a better picture of living organ donation to help those considering it make a more informed decision.

"Sesame Street" teaches kids about coping with trauma

"Sesame Street" — with a helping hand from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation — is launching a new initiative to help kids cope with traumatic experiences. There isn’t much in the way of support for young children dealing with trauma ranging from natural disasters to divorce. “We know exposure to prolonged stress can affect brain development,” Dr. Richard Besser, the president of RWJF, tells me. The new initiative will highlight some of the show's most-beloved characters learning coping skills, like Big Bird picturing a safe place in his nest or Cookie Monster learning a breathing exercise when he’s upset.

“I’m a pediatrician and a parent,” Besser says, “and what I want for my children and for my patients is that they grow up and aren’t just physically healthy, but they are also mentally and emotionally healthy.”

Sponsor content by STAT Events

Hear what’s on the horizon for cancer treatment

CAR-T therapies. Neoantigen vaccines. Kinase inhibitors. These are some of the latest modes of cancer treatment. Join STAT on October 11, as we bring together a panel of leading cancer experts to explore these ideas and what else is to come in the War on Cancer 3.0. Reserve your seat today.<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=82129bba98&e=4aad33fd68> (Space is limited.)

Inside STAT<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=656025f8e2&e=4aad33fd68>: San Diego battles deadly hepatitis epidemic

[87396691-e5ca-4560-8a09-e04a5b7a5bdb.png]<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=79335bbd99&e=4aad33fd68>

(a public health nurse gives a Hepatitis A vaccine to a Homeless person in Downtown San Diego. (sandy huffaker for stat)

San Diego is working to curb the spread of a deadly hepatitis A epidemic that has hit people who are homeless particularly hard. Hepatitis A is transmitted through contact with feces from an infected person and can spread rapidly in close, unsanitary conditions. New handwashing stations and porta-potties dot the city to prevent the spread of the viral disease. Nurses are walking through encampments to offer the hepatitis A vaccine. And on Monday, the first city-sanctioned homeless camp, with security, showers, and bathrooms, will open. It's an extraordinary campaign to control an epidemic — but health officials fear the outbreak will get worse before it gets better. STAT's Usha Lee McFarling has more here<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=98da365c32&e=4aad33fd68>.

How food deserts leave people without healthy options

The most common healthy options in some urban food deserts? Canned vegetables, diet soda, and fruit juice. A new report<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=0699ce551d&e=4aad33fd68> out from the CDC looked at every place where people can buy food, from grocery stores to gas stations, in two Ohio neighborhoods where more than 40 percent of the population lives below the federal poverty line. Those stores were also often plastered with advertisements for unhealthy foods, tobacco, or alcohol. For almost every store studied, more than half of the advertisements displayed in the store were for tobacco or alcohol. On the flipside, just 6 percent of stores had ads posted for health-related behaviors like getting a flu shot or preventing high blood pressure.

The price of a placebo seems to impact the perceived side effects

Patients getting a placebo treatment say they experience more severe side effects when the fake drug is labeled as being expensive, according to new research published in Science<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=3bebf84257&e=4aad33fd68>. Researchers enrolled 49 patients in a trial to test an anti-itch cream — which didn’t actually contain any active ingredients — and told participants that increased sensitivity to pain could be a side effect. They're studying a phenomenon known as the nocebo effect, when negative expectations lead something to cause a more negative effect than it otherwise would. Interestingly, patients who were told their cream was more expensive reported higher pain sensitivity than those who told it was cheap. The scientists pinpointed the parts of the brain at play in the phenomenon, which suggests it's possible to further study the physiology of the nocebo effect to design clinical trials that take it into account.

What to read around the web today
§  Trump administration set to roll back birth control mandate. New York Times<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=2334c0d142&e=4aad33fd68>
§  To save people who are addicted to opioids, this court is ditching delays. NPR<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=b5083d586b&e=4aad33fd68>
§  USC medical school dean out amid revelations of sexual harassment claim. Los Angeles Times<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=b9ca389e71&e=4aad33fd68>

More reads from STAT
§  Scientists introduce a new Neanderthal ancestor<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=ac3d8af1ab&e=4aad33fd68>. You may be more related than you think.
§  The cancer stories<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=8deed0785a&e=4aad33fd68> no one wants to hear.
§  They study gambling disorders. And they had a lot on their minds at a conference in Las Vegas<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=8eb2aa8e72&e=4aad33fd68>.

The latest from STAT Plus
§  Insys to pay $500,000 to Massachusetts for illegal marketing of potent painkiller<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=c9c3197a2b&e=4aad33fd68>.
§  This tech won the Nobel Prize<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=d5f042092c&e=4aad33fd68> — and drug developers are avidly putting it to use.

Want to test your recall of the week's health news? Take our Morning Rounds quiz<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=b8aeef1602&e=4aad33fd68> and tell me how you did! Back on Tuesday morning,
[Megan]

[Facebook]<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=ff32f368e8&e=4aad33fd68>

[Twitter]<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=78bebf1882&e=4aad33fd68>

[STAT]<http://statnews.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8609630ae206654824f897b6&id=6bfa1e4336&e=4aad33fd68>