Democrats call for NIH gun research, meet a MacArthur genius, & a biohacking leader

STAT

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Morning Rounds by Megan Thielking

Follow STAT on Facebook and Twitter, and visit us at statnews.com

Happy Thursday, folks! Here's what you need to know about health and medicine this morning.

Meet the MacArthur ‘genius’ grant winner tracking the evolution of our cells

87396691-e5ca-4560-8a09-e04a5b7a5bdb.png

A lymph node shown in a mouse model, with an antibody icon drawn in green.(GABRIEL VICTORA/ROCKEFELLER UNIVERSITY)

This year’s crop of MacArthur “geniuses” included artists, writers, computer scientists, and one biomedical researcher: immunologist Gabriel Victora of Rockefeller University. I chatted with Victora about his work and his win. Here’s a look at our conversation, which you can read in full here.

Tell me about your research.

We study how it is that antibodies become such great binders, how they bind so strongly to the target antigens [or foreign substances]. They don’t start like that. They start really poorly the first time they encounter a substance that triggers an antibody response... The B cells mutate their own genomes, and if that mutation makes them a little bit better at responding, that cell is selected to proliferate. It’s sort of a Darwinian evolution: When you make random mutations and then select the best ones, you end up with a cellular population that’s better than when it started.

What was it like to find out you’d won?

It was very interesting. I got called by this funny number from Chicago in the middle of a seminar I was attending. I called them back, and they said, “Are you in a place where you can speak without anybody hearing you?” When they told me, I said, “You’ve gotta be kidding.” I had to keep it to myself for a few agonizing weeks.

Why the 2020 census matters for public health

The 2020 census is getting a checkup today. The House oversight committee will convene to talk about the Census Bureau’s efforts to redesign the next round of the survey, which is used to collect various types of health data. But the bureau has seen turmoil in recent months: A permanent director still hasn’t been named after the former leader left in June, and both members of Congress and government accountability officials have raised concerns about the lack of leadership. A flawed census, if it were to occur, would have a significant public health impact — if, for example, racial or ethnic minorities are undercounted as they have been in the past, that inaccurate data could impact how federal health dollars get doled out.

Health officials investigate deaths in Puerto Rico

Health officials in Puerto Rico are investigating four deaths that could be cases of a bacterial disease that spreads through animal urine. Hurricane Maria knocked out much of the running water on the island, causing sanitation problems that could spur the spread of bacterial diseases such as leptospirosis. There have been 10 suspected cases of the disease, including four deaths, according to government officials. Most of the island is still without power, which has left Puerto Rico’s health care system in dire straits.

Inside STAT: The biohacker taking on Big Pharma

87396691-e5ca-4560-8a09-e04a5b7a5bdb.png

(biz herman for stat)

Michael Laufer has become a fixture in the growing biohacker movement. Last year, he published plans for a make-your-own EpiPencil that costs just $35. It’s not clear whether anyone has actually used a homemade EpiPencil in the event of anaphylaxis, but that’s not Laufer’s primary goal. He’s trying to build a DIY movement to empower consumers and circumvent high pharmaceutical prices. It’s an idea health professionals have strenuously warned against. But now, he’s developing a desktop lab and a recipe book to give patients the tools to create their own medicines, including the pricey hepatitis C drug Sovaldi. STAT’s Charles Piller has the story — read here.

Democrats call on NIH to renew gun research funding

Two dozen Senate Democrats are calling on the NIH to renew funding for research on gun violence after the mass shooting in Las Vegas. “It is critical that NIH dedicate a portion of its resources to the public health consequences of gun violence,” they write in a letter to NIH Director Francis Collins. Meanwhile, the CDC has long avoided research on gun violence due to a 1996 provision that prevents the agency from advocating for or promoting gun control. After the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012, President Obama urged HHS as a whole to pursue the topic, arguing that objective research isn’t advocacy. The NIH doled out $18 million to fund scientific studies on gun violence, but that funding expired in January and hasn’t been renewed.

About that Congress and Alzheimer’s remark

The pharmacist who prepares prescriptions for Congress wants people to know he doesn't know any lawmakers with Alzheimer's — and even if he did, he wouldn't tell. Mike Kim told STAT's Erin Mershon in a story published yesterday that he's "filling some drugs that are for some pretty serious health problems," listing treatments for conditions like diabetes and Alzheimer’s. The comment raised eyebrows. Now, Kim has clarified that he was speaking hypothetically and doesn't know any member of Congress who actually has Alzheimer's, nor would he disclose that information if he did know of it. More here

Scientists create a bedside scanner for babies

Researchers have created a portable bedside brain scanner that can be used to image an infant’s brain activity. It's a combination of a lightweight ultrasound probe and an EEG, which records patterns in brain waves. In six healthy newborns taking a nap, the scanner allowed scientists to distinguish between quiet and active sleep. And in two infants with seizure disorders, the scientists were able to trace the seizures back to the brain regions where they originated. The creators of the new proof-of-concept scanner say that being able to capture images of infant brain activity could inform new research into neurological disorders.

What to read around the web today

§  The lethal toll of hot prisons. The Marshall Project / The Weather Channel

§  When scientists are sexually harassed in the field. The Atlantic

§  Giving birth is hard enough — now try it in the middle of a wildfire. KQED

More reads from STAT

§  With little help from doctors, I mapped my recovery from brain surgery.

§  ‘We have entered a new era’: Cancer researchers no longer follow a single path to discovery

The latest from STAT Plus

§  CAR-T cancer therapy is potent, but can be lethal. New research helps explain why

§  An FDA program to approve old drugs causes higher prices and shortages.

Thanks for reading! More tomorrow,

Megan

Facebook

Twitter