View this email in your browser

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Weekend Reads

Catch up with our favorite stories this week.

A defiant country doctor fights for her license and a disappearing style of medicine

Cheryl Senter for STAT

NEW LONDON, N.H. — The voice sounded like a child crying. It seemed to follow Dr. Anna Konopka around, echoing through the rooms of her house, audible everywhere. She thought it might be coming from the neighbors’ — but no, it was clearly inside her own walls. “Mrs. Ghost,” she called it.

Of course, she didn’t tell anyone. They would think she was unstable. She was a primary care doctor, treating both children and adults. It wouldn’t do for people to hear that she was bothered by ghosts. But finally, one night around midnight, as she was getting ready for bed — there it was, in her room, a few feet away, sobbing. “I said, ‘All right, what do you want from me? I will … pray for you for three days. Let me know if it is enough,’” Konopka recalled. “And she stopped crying. She never followed me again.”

Read More

A scrappy upstart in the pain pill business takes on mighty Purdue Pharma

Alex Hogan/STAT

CANTON, Mass. — Collegium Pharmaceutical, the scrappy upstart taking on the mighty opioid maker Purdue Pharma, is having a moment.

The company recently convinced Cigna, Humana, Navitus, and top health insurers in Florida and Pennsylvania to cover only its product Xtampza — and not Purdue’s infamous OxyContin — for most patients prescribed the long-acting opioid known to scientists as oxycodone. Earlier this month came another win: The Food and Drug Administration agreed to let Collegium update Xtampza’s label to describe data demonstrating that the capsules are harder than OxyContin to abuse when crushed.

Read More

‘It’s about love’: Battling a brain tumor, a man finds resilience through storytelling

Maria Fabrizio for STAT

It was mid-October in St. Joseph, Mo., and Michael Bischoff, 46 and rail thin with dark wispy hair and a faintly visible scar behind his right ear, stood before nursing home residents and their family members, to tell a story of generations.

The community room smelled like hamburgers and potatoes. At Bischoff’s side sat his father, Donald, 75, head down and silent as usual, in a wheelchair, a decades-old scar arcing his scalp.

Read More

Sponsor content by STAT Madness

Does your school have what it takes to be the leader in biomedical innovation?

Nominate your research institution to participate in STAT Madness, a bracketed competition celebrating the most innovative advances in science and medicine from universities across the country. All you need to do is submit your research published in a peer-reviewed journal in 2017 by 1/22/18. Enter today and may the most innovative submission win!

Opinion: Don’t cast aside an effective antidepressant just because it’s old

JENS BUTTNER/AFP/Getty Images

One morning in the fall of 2010, my husband got out of bed and crashed to the floor, unconscious. As Eddie came to, he complained of a painful pressure in his chest. In the hospital, his condition worsened. Every test confirmed what I as a nurse already knew, that his heart was shutting down. A day later he died.

As I mourned Eddie’s death, I worried that it would plunge me deeper into an episode of depression that had begun earlier that spring after a succession of harrowing family crises.

Read More

A holiday gift guide for all the science lovers on your list

STAT

’Tis the season for the gift of science. And we’ve taken some of the work out of the holiday by rounding up the most inspired, innovative, and delightful gift ideas for anyone on your list.

Maybe you’ve got a budding young scientist in your family, or you want to inspire someone in your life to love medicine. Maybe you’ve got a friend in a scientific profession — or one who dabbles on the side. Or maybe you need that perfect something for a colleague, neighbor, or your family physician.

Read More

Match matters: Here’s some advice on how to interview for your residency

Mike Reddy for STAT

’Tis the season.

Thanksgiving? Sure. Christmas? That too. But for thousands of fourth-year medical students and foreign medical graduates all over the United States, fall through early winter is a time of job hunting — interviewing for residencies. This is a critical step in our training, where we specialize in the individual fields of medicine that will carry us through our careers.

Read More

STAT Plus: The FDA says it’s illegal to sell do-it-yourself kits to edit human genes. But what, exactly, does that mean?

APStock

The Food and Drug Administration this week made an announcement that sounded quite definitive: It’s illegal to sell do-it-yourself kits to edit human genes.

“FDA is aware that gene therapy products intended for self-administration and ‘do it yourself’ kits to produce gene therapies for self-administration are being made available to the public,” according to an FDA website updated Tuesday. “The sale of these products is against the law.”

Read More