Dear Students:

We are writing to share with you an updated course description for our terrific Spring 2018 human rights course HR 320.05 Resource Extraction, Development and Human Rights, taught by Jehanne Henry, senior researcher in the Africa Division at Human Rights Watch. As you may know, this is a one-time opportunity for a special topics course that we may not be able to offer again, and we hope some of you will be able to take advantage!

HR 320.05 Resource Extraction, Development and Human Rights

Tuesdays, 5:10pm – 8:00pm, RH 304, 3 credits

Jehanne Henry, Senior Researcher, Africa Division, Human Rights Watch

This course examines the massive human rights toll of oil, gas, mining, and infrastructure projects, and evaluates the role that powerful economic actors such as the World Bank and transnational corporations play in perpetuating extreme wealth inequality and entrenching human rights abuses. Through case studies—from mineral mining in Malawi and Papua New Guinea, to coal mining in West Virginia, to hydroelectric dams in Ethiopia—students will explore how and whether rights-based approaches to investment and development projects can help level the playing field. Students will also look at the plight of activists, who have come under attack for opposing such projects.

The instructor, Jehanne Henry, is a senior researcher in the Africa Division at Human Rights Watch with tremendous knowledge on resource conflicts and human rights as well as extensive field experience in Sudan, South Sudan, and Kenya.

While our “HR 200 Introduction to Human Rights” class is a prerequisite for the course, we are able to grant students permission to enroll in this course without having completed that requirement.

Please email us at [log in to unmask] ASAP if interested, and feel free to reach out with questions.

Thanks so much,

Kelsey

--

Kelsey Adolphs

Program Associate

Human Rights Program

Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute at Hunter College

47-49 East 65th Street

New York, NY 10065

Phone: 212.396.7948

Facebook | Twitter

To unsubscribe from the HUMANRIGHTS-L list, click the following link:
https://HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU/scripts/wa-hc.exe?TICKET=NzM2NzQ4IEtKMTcyQEhVTlRFUi5DVU5ZLkVEVSBIVU1BTlJJR0hUUy1MIOMJcDi9klnN&c=SIGNOFF