"Craft your masterpiece by chiseling away, bit by bit, with the sculptor's patience of daily discipline."

View in browser

Beating the MCAT: A Question at a Time

"Craft your masterpiece by chiseling away, bit by bit, with the sculptor's patience of daily discipline."

A scientist is looking to study mouse cells in various stages of mitosis. He obtains a culture of cells and treats them with a chemical that arrests the cells during DNA replication. What is the most likely result of the experiment?

He will successfully have arrested the cells in various stages of mitosis for observation.

The cells will complete mitosis and be arrested during the S phase of interphase.

The cells will complete mitosis and will be arrested upon entry into G1.

The cells will be unaffected by the chemical entirely.

Scroll down to see the answer explanation

Sana Batool

The City University of New York

129 - 95th Percnetile

"I got a 120 on my first CARS practice test, and I amost immediately thought that I would have to postpone my MCAT. I finished the Testing Solutiosn bootcamp, and I ended up scoring 129 on the actual MCAT! I definitely credit Testing Solutions."

You already have the Ability and the Work Ethic.

All you need are
Your Tools.

Let us show
You exactly how to Beat the CARS.

A scientist is looking to study mouse cells in various stages of mitosis. He obtains a culture of cells and treats them with a chemical that arrests the cells during DNA replication. What is the most likely result of the experiment?

He will successfully have arrested the cells in various stages of mitosis for observation.

The cells will complete mitosis and be arrested during the S phase of interphase.

The cells will complete mitosis and will be arrested upon entry into G1.

The cells will be unaffected by the chemical entirely.

DNA replication in the eukaryotic cell cycle happens only during S phase. Mitosis involves only nuclear division, not DNA replication. Therefore mitosis would be unaffected by the chemical and the cells would complete mitosis and would only be arrested once they entered S phase, making (B) the correct answer.

Testing Solutions

4026 Lee Street, Anderson
United States of America

facebook