AILACTD-L Archives

May 2018

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Mark Battersby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2018 14:14:09 -0700
Re Kevin's two points

I think he is right about the limited utility of translating AILACT, but
since there is considerable activity re CT in non-English speaking
countries, it seems appropriate to find some way of linking to those
activities. I suggest that we provide links to newsletters, organizations,
etc that are working in non-English speaking countries so that AILACT  users
could discover and if able, access these resources.  I know for example
that there is a CT group in China that produces a newsletter in Mandarin
and two of its editors (former students of David Hitchcock) live in Toronto.

Re Argumentation.  Kevin assumes that the term has been captured by the
Amsterdam school.  But that is only one approach to looking at
argumentative discourse. As someone who argued for viewing CT as "applied
epistemology" I am sympathetic to his (and many others) criticism of the
Amsterdam approach. But that does not mean that there is not a place for
the study and instruction of rational deliberation and persuasion.  For
example, in our textbook (*Reason in the Balance*) Sharon and I have a
chapter on how to keep discussions on a rational basis in the face of
fallacious arguments.  In this case, the identification of fallacies is
used as a tool not simply for *Logical  Self Defense*, but for providing
strategies for preventing discourse from going off the rational rails.  In
addition an effective CT course is probably the best preparation for
writing academic essays--which are surely exercises in rational
persuasion.  And writing such essays require consideration of relevant
rhetorical factors (such as audience, essay structure, etc)  to produce a
quality (and persuasive ) essay.  We should welcome the addition to CT of
the focus on argumentative discourse advocated by Amsterdam School without
accepting their approach to its treatment.

Dr. Mark Battersby
Critical Inquiry Group
Professor Emeritus Department of Philosophy
Capilano University