CENTROEVENTS-L Archives

April 2008

CENTROEVENTS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
centroev <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Events notification from the Center for Puerto Rican Studies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:09:44 -0400
Saludos Friends and Colleagues of El Centro:

We are very happy to inform you that the search for Centro’s new director
has been successfully concluded.  Hunter College President Jennifer Raab has
announced that Dr. Edwin Meléndez has accepted the position.  Dr. Meléndez,
a friend and collaborator of El Centro since the 1980s, comes to us from the
Milano Graduate School of Management and Urban Policy at The New School. See
the official announcement on our web site for more biographical information
on Dr. Meléndez.

We are grateful to all the individuals who applied for this position, and to
the group of finalists who visited our campus.  Besides Dr. Meléndez these
finalists were: Professor Cesar Ayala (UCLA), Professor Aldo Lauria-Santiago
(Rutgers U.), and Professor Arlene Torres (University of Illinois at
Champagne-Urbana).  The search process occasioned a rigorous assessment and
reflection by Centro staff, Hunter College administration and faculty, and
Centro’s academic and community supporters.  We have a clearer sense of our
strengths and assets, our unmet potential, and the challenges we face.  Many
concrete ideas emerged from this process and the open forums at which each
candidate dialogued with the public about Centro’s future.  Our treasured
institution, thirty-four years in existence (and counting!) is well situated
to move forward.

Thanks are due to Hunter College President Jennifer Raab who took a direct
interest in the entire process and to Provost Vita Rabinowitz who chaired
the search committee. Centro also joins President Raab in thanking the
search committee members who labored diligently to come up with a solid
candidate pool. Dr. Sara Meléndez ably served as consultant to the process
and we are grateful to her as well.

We invite you to check our web site for updates on our plans and activities.
And we encourage you to visit our Library/Archives (in person or on-line),
and attend our special events planned for this year.

Sincerely,

Andrés Torres

Interim Director

For more information on Centro Events, please visit http://centropr.org/events/index.html or call (212)772-5714.