COMHEALUMNI-L Archives

June 2014

COMHEALUMNI-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Kim McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:57:51 +0000

Working Title

Part-Time Risk Behavior Interviewer

Company

NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene

Program

DOH-HIV

Employment Status

Part-Time less than 28 Hrs

Borough

All Boroughs

Area

N/A

Program Overview

With an annual budget of $1.6 billion and more than 6,000 employees throughout the five boroughs, we're one of the largest public health agencies in the world, serving 8 million New Yorkers from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. With over 200 years of leadership in the field, we're also one of our nation's oldest public health agencies. The challenges we face range from obesity, diabetes and heart disease to HIV/AIDS, tobacco addiction and substance abuse, and the threat of bioterrorism. We're tackling these issues with innovative policies and programs ' and getting exceptional results ' but our work is never finished. The breadth of our innovative programs provides the widest range of choices for every member of our team.

Job Description

The Research Unit of the HIV Epidemiology and Field Services Program is recruiting Interviewers on a part-time temporary basis for the New York City National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System (NHBS).  NHBS is a national, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-funded research project conducted annually in New York City and other participating sites.  The project investigates HIV risk behaviors, access to and utilization of HIV prevention services, testing history, and HIV prevalence among populations at risk for HIV infection, including men who have sex with men (MSM), injection drug users (IDU), and high-risk heterosexuals (HET).

The study population for 2014 is MSM (men who have sex with men).  Interviewers will administer 30-40 minute risk behavior interviews using tablet PCs and provide HIV counseling and testing to participants.
Responsibilities:

  *   Conduct in-depth, standardized surveys with study participants
  *   Collect specimens for HIV testing via finger stick, or other methods as determined by the protocol
  *   Provide HIV counseling
  *   Screen potential participants for eligibility and obtain informed consent
  *   Maintain data integrity (i.e., all data collected accurately represents the information provided by a participant)
  *   Accurately document participant information for the eligibility screener, consent form(s), questionnaire, and Participant Tracking Form
  *   Prepare and maintain interview and testing materials and supplies
  *   Assist with ongoing formative research as necessary.
  *   Participate in required trainings
  *   Assist with other related duties as assigned.

Qualifications:

  *   Ability to adhere to detailed survey research protocols
  *   Ability to comply with strict protocols for confidentiality
  *   Strong attention to details
  *   Ability to establish rapport with diverse racial/ethnic,  socioeconomic, and sexual orientation groups
  *   Strong oral communication skills
  *   Proficiency in Spanish is an advantage, but not required
  *   Ability to learn and use computerized interview programs

Special Requirements

  *   Willing to work shifts during evening, night, and weekends during the survey period (expected June-November 2014).

Lila Starbuck
NYC National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System YMSM Field Coordinator
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
42-09 28th Street, #22-146
Long Island City, New York 11101-4132
Office Tel: 347-396-7748  |  Cell: 917-612-4803

Sent from the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene. This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.