HCJ-L Archives

April 2007

HCJ-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Esperanza Urbaez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:38:43 -0400

Calling all print and broadcast journalists,

       My name is Esperanza Urbaez, media studies senior and member of the non-profit and student-run organization, Latino Honor Society at Hunter College. The Latino Honor Society is planning to have a lecture and information session called "Latinas in the Media". The event is meant to provide students the opportunity to hear from and speak with Latina women who have gained success in the media industry and to celebrate their accomplishments not just as women and as members of the Latino community, but as professionals. I believe having a discussion like this is essential at a time in history when our quality of life is so greatly affected by the media and when such a small percentage of the media is produced or controlled by minorities and/or females.

 The session will be held on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 from 6:00-8:30 pm at Hunter College TH 105. We are expecting about 70 guests which would include organization members, high school students, Hunter students and faculty. There will be two speakers with 20-30 minutes each, a Q&A period and refreshments and snacks

I apologize in advance for the late notice. However, with your connections and networks, I was hoping you would know someone who might enjoy the opportunity to partake in this session as a speaker and share the experience and knowledge of an effective Latina leader in the Media with aspiring young Latina journalists.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing your response.

Sincerely,

Esperanza Urbaez
Latino Honor Society
Hunter College