NFS-L Archives

February 2015

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:19:35 +0000

Temporary Position, Program Coordinator, Nutrition Initiatives for Hunger Prevention and Nutrition Assistance
Community Impact Department

United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives.  We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.

UWNYC works side-by-side with individuals, nonprofits, government, businesses, foundations, faith-based organizations, and community partners in developing strategies to produce far-reaching results.  We create and fund initiatives focused on improving the quality of life for individuals and families; provide technical assistance, leadership development, and other support to strengthen the capacity of our nonprofit partners; and advocate on important issues affecting our communities.

THE POSITION
UWNYC seeks to improve the health and nutrition status of people in need of food assistance in New York City.  UWNYC provides food and operations support funding, training and technical assistance to more than 400 emergency food programs. Our hunger prevention and nutrition strategies are intended to improve the health status of vulnerable New Yorkers by not just providing meals and groceries, but also improving the nutritional value of the food they eat and providing nutrition education to emergency food operators. Our program model ensures a minimum of 15% of emergency foods distributed are fresh fruits and vegetables and the all items adhere to rigorous nutrition guidelines.

Position Timeframe: This is a grant funded, temporary position guaranteed through September 30, 2015 with the possibility of extension through December 31, 2017.

REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of Hunger Prevention and Nutrition Assistance
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

·       Conduct on-site program reviews of UWNYC-funded emergency food programs during hours of operation to assess for food safety, nutrition, and administrative compliance.  Provide written and verbal technical assistance regarding food safety, nutrition, and administrative compliance during site visit.

·       Work one on one with food pantries converting to client choice food pantry distribution by providing staff trainings, technical assistance and ongoing support.

·       Assist in the development and execution of food safety and nutrition workshops, trainings and newsletters.

·       Plan, organize, and prepare materials for meetings and special events including those with partner organizations and emergency food programs.

·       Plan, organize, and execute special projects as assigned.

·       Support the Hunger Prevention and Nutrition Assistance team with daily operations and program management.  Serve as point of contact of information for grantees and other interested constituents.
Skills and Qualifications:
The Temporary Program Coordinator, Nutrition Initiatives for Hunger Prevention and Nutrition Assistance requires an understanding of management methods through a combination of formal education and work experience. The Program Coordinator must be able to work independently and collaboratively with internal and external potential/existing organizational partners.

·            A master’s degree in nutrition, public health and/or health education from an accredited institution, preferred, or a Registered Dietitian with at least two years of professional experience in community nutrition.
·            Knowledge of community nutrition, food safety, food service, and hunger as they relate to New York City residents.
·            Excellent organizational, project management, and time-management skills
·            Strong team orientation, relationship-building and negotiation skills, and ability to collaborate with diverse groups of people.
·            Clear and strong written and oral communication skills
·            Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
·            Positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
·            Strong preference will be given to candidates currently holding a NYC Food Protection Certificate<http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/services/hanyfood-online.shtml?>.  Candidates without this certification will be required to take the course within the first month of hire on their own time and without remuneration.
·            Proficient in MS Office Suite.

To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with the title Program Coordinator for Hunger Prevention Nutrition Assistance in the subject caption. Please no calls or faxes. Candidate must be able to pass a comprehensive background and reference check.

United Way of NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer

Stacey McCarthy, MPH | Assistant Director  | Hunger Prevention Nutrition Assistance Program
United Way of New York City | 205 E. 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017 | 212.251.4060 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>