NFS-L Archives

September 2013

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:42:27 +0000

Arlene Spark, EdD, RDN, FADA, FACN
Professor
CUNY School of Public Health
Hunter College and the Graduate Center

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Speaker Christine C. Quinn" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: "Arlene Spark" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: FoodWorks

Dear New Yorker,

Three years ago the New York City Council released FoodWorks<http://council.nyc.gov/downloads/pdf/foodworks_fullreport_11_22_10.pdf> – our comprehensive plan for creating a healthier, more sustainable food system.

Working alongside city agencies, advocates, and communities across the five boroughs, we've taken a number of important actions since then to increase access to healthy food, spur growth in the City's food industry, and ensure that we have a stronger food system that benefits all New Yorkers.

These successes wouldn't have been possible without the help of countless New York City food advocates and community groups that strive to create a healthier food system every day, and we're very excited to share with you a copy of our FoodWorks Fall 2013 Report<http://www.council.nyc.gov/html/action/acpdfs/foodworks_report_update_2013.pdf> (see attached).

In it you will find updates on some of the incredible strides that we've made, as well as new ideas and strategies to ensure that New York City remains a national leader in the movement to create a better food system.

Thanks for being a part of this major effort to transform the City's food system.  You can read more about the release of this report on the Council's website at http://www.council.nyc.gov/html/pr/090413foodworks.shtml.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about the updates and new initiatives contained in this report, please don't hesitate to contact Alissa Weiss in the Council's Policy Division at 212-341-0359 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Christine C. Quinn

Speaker

NYC Council

Maria del Carmen Arroyo

Chair, Health Committee

NYC Council

Annabel Palma

Chair, General Welfare Committee

NYC Council

Gale A. Brewer

Chair, Governmental Operations Committee

NYC Council

Stephen Levin

Council Member