NFS-L Archives

November 2012

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:24:40 +0000
Ways to help, suggested by SPH Acting Associate Dean Susan Klitzman and State Senator Liz Krueger
Susan Klitzman
BROOKLYN
Red Hook Initiative    767 Hicks St   Brooklyn, NY 11231   Ph: 718-858-6782   Fax: 718-852-4984    [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Park Slope Armory    361 15th St.

Brooklyn Tech High School    29 Fort Greene Place

Other Brooklyn Shelters looking for help:  http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy/brooklyn-hurricane-shelters-need-some-help/<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=26197&qid=126378>

BROOKLYN-SUNSET PARK/FAR ROCKAWAY

Please go to Jacobi Church in Sunset Park 5406 4th Avenue.   If you have a car full of ready to eat food, cleaning supplies, clothes, and/or volunteers, please go straight to Far Rockaway, at the corner of B113 and Rockaway Blvd. Or at the kitchen located at a restaurant called Veggie Island at 96th Street and Rockaway Boulevard.   You can go starting immediately.  If you are going to Far Rockaway - please dress appropriately: warm clothes and boots!  To get the list of needs please visit www.interoccupy.net/occupysandy/<http://www.interoccupy.net/occupysandy/>

Mecis needed in Far Rockaway - If you do not have a car, please go to St. Jacobi Church 5406 4th Avenue and catch a ride to Far Rockway to address 112-34 Rockaway Beach Blvd.  Contact: Diego at 516 225 7868.

MANHATTAN - CHINATOWN    CAAAV   46 Hester St Frnt A * New York   (212) 473-6485  served more than 500 people yesterday to get their phones charged, to get food and supplies, and most importantly to get INFORMATION.  This is what they need immediately:   1) Donations. Specifically-- food, water, flashlights, batteries (AA, AAA, D). We could use another generator and power outlets for people to charge things.  2) Volunteers. To help with outreach, distribution of supplies, and organizing/moving people. We anticipate more than double the amount of people to come through tomorrow. We're also getting specific requests to check up on seniors and would like to be able to do that if possible. (Note: If you plan on coming through you will not have much ability to use your cellphone. Maybe texts, but not much else.)   3) Take action. Demand that the leaders of this City take responsibility for Chinatown/Lower East Side and other still impacted communities. Stop putting people over profits. The people of our communities deserve just as much attention as Wall Street and Times Square.  And of course, we can always use financial donations. Just today alone, CAAAV staff and volunteers used hundreds of dollars of our own money to buy flashlights and batteries. Please consider making a donation at http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=1838&amount&designategift2<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=26198&qid=126378>.  If you have any questions or want to support, reach out to us at [log in to unmask]<http://mc/compose?to=justice%40caaav.org>. We are trying to get back to people as soon as we can, but we're most likely able to respond after 8pm when we can get to a place with cell service. The best thing you can do is just come down and bring stuff/people with you.

2. Please call or email the following people to let them know that people in affected areas of NYC are in a desperate situation and have not received government relief, if they do nothing, they can't say they didn't know:

President Barack Obama   http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments  Call the President    Phone Numbers   Comments: 202-456-1111  Switchboard: 202-456-1414   TTY/TTD    Comments: 202-456-6213  Visitor's Office: 202-456-2121   Senator Charles Schumer   https://www.schumer.senate.gov/Contact/contact_chuck.cfm  Washington D.C. Office   322 Hart Senate Office Building  Washington D.C. 20510   Phone: 202-224-6542    Fax: 202-228-3027   TTD: 202-224-0420    NYC Office   780 Third Avenue   Suite 2301   New York, NY 10017   Phone: 212-486-4430   Fax: 212-486-7693  TDD: 212-486-7803   Governor Andrew Cuomo  Phone: (518) 474-8390  or http://www.governor.ny.gov/contact/GovernorContactForm.php

Liz Krueger

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, many New Yorkers, particularly seniors and people with disabilities, are living in buildings that lack electricity and other basic amenities like running water and heat. Some live in very tall buildings and may not be able to exit because elevators are not working. They may be in need of food, water, flashlights and extra.  East Side elected officials are organizing volunteers to reach out to our neighbors, identify needs, and provide basic supplies. We will be climbing stairs and knocking on doors today, Fri, Nov.
If you would like to volunteer, please be prepared to walk and climb stairs in buildings with power outages. All buildings have lost power and have no lights - volunteers will be sent up in teams and may be asked to carry supplies to residents.

Volunteers should:

  *   wear comfortable clothing and shoes,
  *   bring water and snacks for your personal consumption, and
  *   bring any of the following if you have them: a backpack, flashlight, spare batteries, and pens.
Two volunteer options on Fri, Nov 2nd:

OPTION #1
Meet at the northeast corner of 2nd Avenue and East 25th Street in Manhattan.    Anytime Friday, November 2nd, 10:00am-6:00pm.    On-site contacts: Anna 914-330-1103<tel:914-330-1103> or Nicole 202-422-8509<tel:202-422-8509>

OPTION #2
Meet at the Stuyvesant Town Community Center, off the First Avenue Loop, near 16th Street and 1st Avenue in Manhattan.   Anytime Friday, November 2nd, 9:00am-6:00pm

If you can, let us know you're coming by emailing [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Please provide your phone number, the time you expect to arrive and how much time you have available. Or just show up anytime during the hours above!

For more information, contact the office of Assembly member Brian Kavanagh or Senator Liz Krueger, who are coordinating this local effort on behalf of all area elected officials, at 212-490-9535<tel:212-490-9535> or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.   Senator Krueger and other elected officials are planning to arrange additional volunteer sites throughout the weekend; they will provide details as soon as they are available.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the NFS-L List, please send an E-mail to:
"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF NFS-L".