NFS-L Archives

January 2014

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Attiqa Mirza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:36:04 +0000

________________________________
From: Eric Vieira [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:27 AM
To: Eric Vieira
Subject: Unique opportunity for CUNY students - Announcing the 2014 Global Design for UNICEF Challenge
Dear All,

I am writing to draw your attention to an exciting initiative - the Global Design for UNICEF Challenge - that CUNY is leading in collaboration with UNICEF, and to ask for your help with involving and supporting our students.

The Challenge is a four-month online academic competition that engages students in developing innovation solutions to pressing development problems. The official launch date is February 3rd. We ran the Challenge last year and had 50 participating teams from 15 CUNY colleges tackling some of the most severe issues related to child survival worldwide. This year, we are expanding the program to include challenges facing children and their families in emergency situations - such as hurricanes, typhoons or civil unrest. In addition, the students will be connected to an international network of peers from universities in the Global South to bolster global citizenship and collaborate on solutions that have far-reaching impact.

Below, and attached, are more details about the Challenge that I hope you will distribute widely to your colleagues, students and staff. Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss further.

Best regards,
Eric

-----
Eric Vieira, Ph.D.
Director of Special Research Programs
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
The City University of New York
205 East 42nd Street, Room 1159
New York, NY 10017
Phone: 646-664-8903
e-Mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/ericvieira/<http://www.linkedin.com/in/ericvieira/>

About the Challenge: The Global Design for UNICEF Challenge is a ground-breaking competition that gives students the opportunity to work with UNICEF<http://www.unicef.org/> - the world's leading advocate for children - to come up with innovative solutions to pressing development problems. UNICEF believes that students are ideal partners in this effort, bringing fresh ideas, familiarity with new technologies, and a passion for change. Students gain valuable experience in project development and design, and become part of an international network of problem-solvers looking for solutions that have far-reaching impact. The top teams win a chance to work with a UNICEF Country Office to test their idea in the field. The competition is open to the City University of New York <http://www.cuny.edu/> (CUNY), Lebanese American University <http://www.lau.edu.lb/> (LAU), and American University of Beirut <http://www.aub.edu.lb/> (AUB).

How does it work? Students sign-up through a dedicated website, form interdisciplinary teams of 2-5 members, and identify a specific development problem related to child survival or emergency (see attached 1-pager for more information). They are guided by UNICEF experts and faculty advisors through a four-month research and design process. Along the way, various checkpoints are set up to direct their work and teach them about project development. The winning teams have the opportunity to continue working with UNICEF and travel to one of its Country Offices to test their idea in the field.

How can you help?

*         Announce the Challenge to the students of your program and/or department

*         Share Challenge information and materials with other faculty, staff, and students

*         Become a faculty advisor for a participating team

For more information on last year's winning teams and process, please visit www.unicefchallenge.com<http://www.unicefchallenge.com>.