NFS-L Archives

May 2016

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2016 15:39:29 +0000

/arlene

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Union of Concerned Scientists <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: May 10, 2016 at 11:02:42 AM EDT
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Every American should have access to healthy, affordable food

Later this month, ExxonMobil and Chevron are holding shareholder meetings, where big decisions get made about corporate policy and investments. We’ve been working for months to pressure fossil fuel companies to stop funding trade groups that deny climate science and harass individual scientists. Stand with UCS as we gear up for major actions surrounding these shareholder meetings—where all eyes will be on ExxonMobil’s and Chevron’s corporate leaders.

Renew your support for science with a membership gift today.  >><http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=NDu6Iw_5eYh2Tk2hJZzeNA>

[Union of Concerned Scientists]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=L-l3bwMBTznYBFqeg2EOYw>
[Facebook]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=kWKmyv8X29mGRAlfiD4Qpg>[Twitter]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=jEpCIbGp7K7BvD_zirWHxw>[Google+]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=9rulQt_702Wv-Xjfuw7hHw>[Donate]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=_CgxsZozsPi7C-ggUNL4_g>

[https://secure3.convio.net/ucs/images/content/pagebuilder/May-2016-cover-food-equity.jpg]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=1wESYbGGnXdJuccba-7zbQ>

Dear friend,
Our food system is broken. Our government policies support crops used to produce processed foods and sugary drinks—the same foods the government’s own nutritional guidelines tell us to eat less of. And these same policies also support an outdated, unsustainable system of industrial agriculture, which damages our soil, air, water, health, and rural economies. There’s a better way, but with powerful interests defending the current business as usual, transforming our food system in a healthier direction will not be easy. That’s why we need to all work together—in our communities and across the country—to ensure every American has access to healthy, affordable food that is fair to food workers, good for the environment, and ensures that farmers can keep farming. —Katy

        [Science in Action] <http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=P-58txEc9zNRR-v6bjGJ3A>

[Facebook]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=PAuqs9axTbg1BTIrdPy8xw>[Twitter]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=Zs8BZdreB-_BqPr4-uJuEg>[Google]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=ZvmTk2ua1K13701JC3zYNA>

Take Action ><http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=Nx4xI2UuPj2nVVLhN3Sk5Q>

Science in Action
Make it local: Bring the Call for a Healthy Food System to Your Mayor
The U.S. food system is out of balance—and no one knows this better than elected leaders at the local level. The nation’s cities and towns are at the frontlines of a food system that sickens millions of Americans every year and keeps many of these same people impoverished, as food workers are some of the lowest-paid wage earners in the US economy. Local leaders are innovating and finding creative ways to improve their food systems, but they shouldn’t have to work so hard to undo the damage caused by federal policies. Ask your city’s mayor or other local elected official to join the growing list of scientists, organizations, businesses, and others calling for food policy reform that leads to healthy, affordable, sustainable, food for all.<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=bHuFUHXJoBNXbnXRyRGrGg>

Cartoon of the Month

[cartoon]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=Z0qEDnlxk9MZz8RRiMpv_w>
        [Facebook] <http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=0Bsj7xgroC4PLIvUYsmJMw> [Twitter] <http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=C-rsR8ZnBf5p6Xc1y4RdHQ> [Google] <http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=bm7_sf6gm-sgXGo3S39UcQ>

Got Science?

        Read More ><http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=apvgJdL6U2LQFtgDi1zxyw>

Think ExxonMobil's climate deception is a thing of the past? Think again.

        [Karen Perry Stillerman]
Karen Perry Stillerman
Deputy Director and Sr. Analyst, Food & Environment Program

Follow Karen's blog >><http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=xgGL4u8NtI6hku6vCOwsuA>

[Facebook]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=zR20gGAAwvtJXQtiCrZWtA>[Twitter]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=F8RpK2cgujly5LevtLLKgA>[Google]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=2IZ2X0ZmxfMFCyQjYTpbOA>

Read More ><http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=TeAsgJprpq-VWB1yvurppw>

Ask a Scientist
A supporter in Hillsboro, OR, asks "Many Americans live in highly urban settings. What are the most effective things those of us who live in cities can do to improve our food supply?"
Even in cities, it’s possible to grow food. More and more researchers are studying the potential for urban farms to produce a significant amount of food and provide other community benefits. Urban planners at the University of Pennsylvania reviewed field research in six cities, including Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia, and concluded urban farming there could help strengthen food security and build a sense of community. Short of starting your own urban farm, you may be able to grow vegetables and even dwarf fruit trees in a small back yard or in containers on a porch or patio. If you live in an apartment, a sunny windowsill and a few small pots may be all you need to grow herbs. Or you can join a community garden. And even if you don't have a green thumb, city residents can still work to make our food system better right now, from investing in local farmers to helping shape food policy on a national level. READ MORE<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=iqW9SaCI4Dci2iXfOMrJcQ>

Do you have a question for UCS scientists? Submit your question today.<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=EWddaYeLkUZXxQfrWdi1-g>

        [Read More]

[Facebook]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=7ykVzEh39YdhQPDS-rjypg>[Twitter]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=r6UAAp57bxAwpnKmgrq5hA>[Google]<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=Avh8hALFc2x6bmMNI4bs1g>

Read More ><http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=QBG0ASfMBYgu5XptpPLeDw>

This Just In
The Devastating Consequences of Unequal Food Access
About 30 million Americans currently suffer from diabetes, and if recent trends continue, close to one-third of the population could be diabetic by 2050. Rising rates of this diet-related disease are a problem for all Americans, though they have hit African American, Latino, and Native American communities hardest. Our latest report links proximity to healthy food retailers with lower rates of diabetes, and the effect is even more pronounced in US counties that have a greater-than-average percentage of people of color. But the solution to this health equity crisis will involve more than simply placing additional supermarkets in certain neighborhoods. Public policies must take a comprehensive approach. READ MORE<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=5G-ABCbOIXQsqoOpxz5OPA>

Links for You
> Growing Economies: Connecting Local Farmers and Large-Scale Food Buyers to Create Jobs and Revitalize America's Heartland <http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=4xV9Fp_pyLSHIqJBWz22RA>
> Experts and Voters Agree: We Need to Fix the Food System<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=E2wwRs8yge-mwCTwNJajAg>
> Healthy Food in Your Community: A Toolkit for Policy Change<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=Z09mdckPPbrKxqIu3Ne2Jg>
> Fixing Food: Fresh Solutions from Five US Cities<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=MpksR7dN27oAPdAGK_9RMg>

Buzz from the Blog: THE EQUATION — Connect with our experts
> Derrick Z. Jackson: Powering Up Solar Energy for All<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=k5cOI7p8l1nudAX3x0HkeQ>
> Pallavi Phartiyal: Love Your Science, But Wish It Did More? So Do We<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=MB7r8AU16eRoWdpvIaJYzQ>
> Gretchen Goldman: Finally, a Silica Rule: A Story of Industry Interference and Regulatory Delay<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=FZEOfX0XK25349KbMP8rOw>
> Josh Goldman: Here are the Top 5 New Clean Cars for 2017<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=rHhxszOFSI0vkoIhElP9Dg>

Top Tweets
> "We need to focus on communities that have been left behind." -@GinaEPA on #FlintWaterCrisis at #MCGreenFest "Drinking water isn't a luxury"<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=nR_kaqHjO9wceIlzs63d-g>
> Drones' new mission? Save the forests: http://j.mp/231Cctk #Fight4Forests http://pic.twitter.com/kLLQiz1Ons<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=-wJ8Khxa6bawEVjbnScz5w>
> Beef. It's what's driving deforestation and #climate change. RT to help save #forests. http://j.mp/1S7Xvq2 http://pic.twitter.com/byXbKKUxqk<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=6oUPMvBG6A5djBn2A-FSWw>
> Over 150 countries to sign #ParisAgreement today, but what's next? Statement by @UCSUSA's Alden Meyer & @kenkimmell. https://t.co/9fvaNlE6uu<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=7wUQNBaYzbORNLTsaUfQ5A>

DEFEND SCIENCE

        Donate ><http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=Mew1W-KnG5cYN1JfhAHzdQ>

Your commitment to UCS ensures that scientific facts inform decisions that affect our environment, our health, and our security. Donate today.<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=fX5jy-QV7D1OygYohW-nQw>

Science for a healthy planet and safer world
UCS is a 501(c)(3) organization. All gifts are tax deductible. You can be confident your donations to UCS are spent wisely.
[https://secure3.convio.net/ucs/images/content/pagebuilder/bbb-cn-cw-logos.jpg]
About UCS<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=ePGT2jUit8QAQWZzQ9pYzA> | Take Action | Donate<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=Pkw7KQoV5ALs9fUpU2mUNw> | Contact Us<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=hL4SeDHd_JoKxFhaqouALA> | Privacy Policy<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=4gfU4gVb3tRoO4XRK0X1OA> | Unsubscribe<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/CO?i=y6K3PT00sc7sROCBOMMImPA1Y3zea0Y0&cid=1786&i=X7dkmQkBt_RDKd4Fg2eE9A_VWHEvkiR-&cid=0> | Update Your Profile<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=DyFlHyh9ksPBIilAF7RR2Q>

Need to let us know about updates to your area of expertise, where you're working, or any awards or recognitions you've recently received? have you recently graduated or started another degree? Email us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Union of Concerned Scientists
2 Brattle Square | Cambridge, MA 02138-3780

© Union of Concerned Scientists. All rights reserved.
www.ucusa.org<http://action.ucsusa.org/site/R?i=7zvOwL_K_rScI1XqxyiUjw>