NFS-L Archives

April 2015

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2015 00:32:24 +0000

Seeking Cooking and Nutrition Education Instructors

(Part time; 5-20 hrs/week)

The Children’s Aid Society’s (CAS) Go!Chefs program is seeking dynamic instructors to lead summer camp and after-school cooking and nutrition education programs for elementary, middle and high school students in the South Bronx, Harlem, Washington Heights, and Staten Island. Hours range from 5-20 hours per week.

Go!Chefs is part of CAS’s  Go!Healthy initiative, a comprehensive obesity prevention and health promotion initiative that engages children from birth through adolescence, as well as parents and staff. For more information about the Go!Healthy initiative, please visit: www.childrensaidsociety.org/nutrition<http://www.childrensaidsociety.org/nutrition>.

Go!Chefs is our hands-on cooking, nutrition education and gardening curricula for elementary, middle and high school youth. Since 2005, Go!Chefs has introduced youth to the pleasures of growing, preparing and enjoying "real food" that is both nutritious and delicious - an essential step toward health and well-being. Our core goals are for children to embrace fresh fruit and vegetables, increase their food literacy, and build skills and self-sufficiency in the kitchen. The program culminates in an Iron Go!Chefs Competition where teams of young Chefs design their own delicious, balanced meals and cook them live for a panel of professional Chef judges. Go!Chefs serves 1500 children each year across 15 sites, and to date we have built children’s gardens in eight of these so children get the full “seed to table” experience.

Instructors must be available for training at the end of June and for the entire summer session, July 6-August 21. After-school programming begins in late September - early October.

Candidate must be an experienced, dynamic teacher and creative cook. S/he must be:

•             Able to effectively implement our Go!Chefs curriculum, which includes nutrition education discussion and activities, hands-on cooking and journaling/reflection.

•             Education and cooking experience are required

•             Well versed in contemporary food and nutrition issues

•             Highly organized and able to work independently

•             Energetic and self-motivated

•             Good communicator

•             Bilingual (English-Spanish) is a plus.

Please email or fax resume and cover letter to:

Kaitlin Dougherty, Program Manager, Go! Healthy, The Children’s Aid Society

Interviewing immediately!

Seeking Summer Camp Garden Instructors

(Part time; 5-20 hrs/week)

The Children’s Aid Society’s Go!Chefs program is seeking dynamic instructors to lead summer camp garden programs for elementary students in Washington Heights, Harlem, Staten Island and the South Bronx.

Go!Healthy’s garden program enables children to experience plant-based foods from seed to table.  Every gardening lesson is hands-on, providing children the opportunity to plant, tend and harvest food which is then used in cooking classes to make delicious and healthful snacks and meals.  The garden program also integrates movement, inquiry-based science learning, arts and crafts, reflection and journaling.  This program is a complement to our Go!Chefs program, our nutrition education and cooking curriculum for elementary, middle and high school youth. Since 2005, Go!Chefs has introduced youth to the pleasures of growing, preparing and enjoying "real food" that is both nutritious and delicious - an essential step toward health and well-being. Our core goals are for children to embrace fresh fruit and vegetables, increase their food literacy, and build skills and self-sufficiency in the kitchen and garden.

Garden teachers will work 2-4 days per week and must be available for training at the end of June and for the entire summer session, July 6-August 21.

Responsibilities include:

  *   Effectively implementing our curriculum, which includes gardening, plant science, journaling, and tastings

  *   Collaborating creatively with Go!Chefs cooking teachers

  *   Communicating with site directors about program progress and needs

  *   Managing all aspects of garden maintenance, and

  *   Reporting to the Garden Coordinator

Candidate must be:

  *   A dynamic teacher with significant teaching experience with elementary aged students and a solid knowledge of gardening and plant science

  *   Highly organized and able to work independently

  *   Energetic and self-motivated

  *   Extremely reliable

  *   Good communicator

To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Garden Program Manager, Kaitlin Dougherty at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Kaitlin Dougherty

Go! Chefs + Garden Program Manager

Children’s Aid Society

150 e 45th St.

New York, NY 10017

856-993-3836 (c)

This email transmission, any attached documents and all subsequent replies to the initial email message may be confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or designee, you are hereby notified that any further review, disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution, or use of any of the information contained in or attached to the email(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email and attachments immediately. Thank you.