NFS-L Archives

September 2015

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:43:46 +0000

CDC's Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity (DNPAO) is pleased to release a new series of State Program Highlights and case studies to showcase the activities and successes of our funded state programs.
The State Program Highlights are documents that briefly describe the activities of state health departments working on DNPAO-funded strategies.  The Highlights currently available on the DNPAO website focus on efforts to implement the following strategies:

*         Physical Activity Highlights<http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/state-local-programs/pdf/14_252603-a_zaganjor_physical-activity-508_tag508.pdf> - four states that have implemented physical activity strategies, such as Complete Streets, comprehensive planning, physical activity in worksites, and Safe Routes to School.

*         Food Service Guidelines Highlights<http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/state-local-programs/pdf/final_fsg_stories_may_2015.pdf> - four states' efforts to implement food service guidelines in worksites.

*         Breastfeeding Peer and Professional Support Highlights<http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/state-local-programs/pdf/bf-highlights.pdf> - five states' projects to increase access to community breastfeeding support.
In addition to the shorter State Program Highlights, we have also released an in-depth set of food service guidelines case studies:

*         The Food Service Guidelines: Case Studies from States and Communities<http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/downloads/fsg_casestudies_508.pdf> highlights five case studies of food and beverage guidelines to improve the food environment. The case studies provide information on the implementation and evaluation of food service guidelines, along with descriptions of site-specific successes and challenges.
We hope these state program highlights and case studies will help:

*         Facilitate peer-to-peer learning across states

*         Provide valuable information on how to implement funded strategies

*         Provide qualitative information, or storytelling, to complement other quantitative data sources

*         Showcase the work of funded programs to key decision-makers
All of these grantee resources, and many more, can be found on DNPAO's State and Local webpage<http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/state-local-programs/index.html>.
We plan to continue to write additional state program highlights on all of our funded strategies.  We'd like to showcase your great work!  If you think your state should be considered for future highlights, please talk to your DNPAO project officer.