NFS-L Archives

May 2013

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2013 16:47:46 +0000

HHS AND USDA announce the appointment of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee

The appointment of 15 nationally recognized experts to serve on the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee is being announced today by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Secretary Tom Vilsack. The Committee’s recommendations and rationale will serve as a basis for the eighth edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

The Dietary Guidelines serve as the foundation for national nutrition programs, standards, and education. In addition, the Dietary Guidelines provide key recommendations for the general population as well as specific population groups to help people choose an overall healthy diet that works for them.

“As we aim to improve the health of all Americans, we look forward to the important work of this Committee,” said HHS Secretary Sebelius. “Their guidance will help shape recommendations on how we can all live healthier lives by eating a nutritious diet—a key factor in achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.”

“The President and First Lady have made it a priority to ensure Americans have access to the information they need to improve their overall health and nutrition,” said USDA Secretary Vilsack. “USDA takes great pride in partnering with the Department of Health and Human Services as we strive to reverse childhood obesity and build a healthier next generation based on the solid science that undergirds the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.”

Every five years, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans are updated and published jointly by HHS and USDA. The administrative responsibility for leading the process alternates between Departments.  The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion at HHS is the administrative lead for the 2015 process.

The inaugural meeting of the Committee is scheduled for June 13-14, 2013 and will be open to the public. For additional information, including meeting details, press releases, and fact sheets, please visit: www.DietaryGuidelines.gov<http://www.DietaryGuidelines.gov>.
http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2013pres/05/20130531a.html

If you wish to unsubscribe from the NFS-L List, please send an E-mail to:
"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF NFS-L".