NFS-L Archives

August 2015

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:32:37 +0000
A new part-time, consultant position to start no later than September 7th for the position of Culinary and Nutrition Education Coordinator. Please see attached and below for details.

This sounds sensational!!  /as

Northeast Brooklyn Housing Development Corporation

Position Description

Culinary and Nutrition Education Coordinator (CNEC)

NEBHDCo is seeking a talented, passionate, and dedicated individual for Culinary and Nutrition Education Coordinator (CNEC), to play an important role in raising the excellence and expanding the breadth of Culinary and Nutrition programming at NEBHDCo. This programming is a part of the Communities for Healthy Food Program at NEBHDCo, a food justice project in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.

Job Summary

The CNEC will be responsible for implementing all Culinary & Nutrition Knowledge sharing activities and developing educational materials. The CNEC will work under the supervision of & reports directly to the Community Healthy Food Advocate (CHFA).

About NEBHDCo, Communities for Healthy Food, and the Culinary and Nutrition Knowledge-Sharing program

Established in 1985, Northeast Brooklyn Housing Development Corporation (NEBHDCo) is committed to the preservation, development and management of affordable housing and homeownership opportunities; community and economic development initiatives and human services that effect social change in Central and East Brooklyn. NEBHDCo owns and operates 92 buildings comprising over 1,000 units of affordable housing. Our portfolio also includes 17 commercial storefronts and 8 gardens. Our Community Programs Department works across two broad areas:  Healthy Food and Living, and Tenant and Community Supports.  The CNEC work within the Healthy Food and Living program area.

Healthy Food and Living:

Golden Harvest Food Pantry, grand re-opening June 2014, in a beautiful new 2-story facility to provide: Emergency food distribution on the main floor, supermarket-style client choice model; Increased availability of and education about fresh produce, including from local sources; Demonstration kitchen, classroom and 3-station benefits center on the second floor.

Communities for Healthy Food Bed-Stuy, a food justice and food access initiative, with a holistic approach to bettering the food system in Bed-Stuy through five main program areas: Urban Gardens and Farms: Advocacy and Community Building; Culinary and Nutrition Knowledge Sharing; Retail Work; Good Food Jobs.

Culinary and Nutrition Knowledge Sharing (CNKS)

We believe that cooking is fun, and that eating whole foods made from scratch is good for our bodies, minds, and spirits.  We also believe that Bed-Stuy residents hold a lot of knowledge of food traditions and that they are the best to lead our culinary education programs. These beliefs are at the core of Culinary and Nutrition Knowledge-Sharing.

Community Chef Training

 This 4-week program teaches participants about: how to facilitate workshops about local, seasonal eating and cooking; basic nutrition; fruit and vegetable identification; recipe selection and creation; knife skills; and food storage and preparation. As part of our focus on Good Food Jobs, we hire and pay our chefs well to cater events and to lead culinary courses, cooking demonstrations, and workshops.

Cooking Classes for Families and Adults

In our demonstration kitchen at 376 Throop Avenue, we offer culinary courses for Families and Adults using the Family Cook Productions Curriculum.  The Cooking Time is Family Time course is a family strengthening tool where food is the ‘glue’ that bonds the family together over a common purpose of preparing a nurturing meal.  The Team Chef Challenge course has participants work in a team to “battle” with another team as they prepare delicious, multi-ethnic meals using fresh, healthful ingredients and sophisticated culinary techniques.

Workshops for Seniors

In 2014, we offered our first series of hands-on cooking and nutrition workshops tailored specifically to seniors, on easy meals they could make to help prevent or manage diet-related diseases. In 2015, we’re running a series focused on local and affordable food in our neighborhood as well as healthy cooking techniques.

Job Duties

·      Manage team of NEBHDCo/Just Food Trained Community Chefs including placements, coaching, and processing invoices.

·      Design and deliver an annual training to onboard new Community Chefs, as well as advanced and refresher trainings for current Community Chefs.

·      Ensure that the programs have an adequate supply of all food, materials, and equipment needed.

·      Create demonstration kitchen usage policies and clean-up protocols. Participate in kitchen design planning projects, as needed. Identify and resolve kitchen equipment issues.

·      Develop a fee-for-service community education program, whereby community partners, such as schools, community groups, and civic organizations can hire our community chefs to conduct cooking demonstrations and workshops.

·      Expand NEBHDCo community partnerships.

·      Initially, familiarize self with Family Cook Productions (FCP) curricula and manage the delivery of all FCP courses. Later, develop NEBHDCo curricula for culinary and nutrition courses and develop new programs and projects as time and funding allows. In 2015, one course is planned for the fall and in 2016, six courses are planned throughout the year.

·       Constantly improve quality of programming by observing, evaluating, providing feedback, and re-designing programs.

·      Work closely with the Community Engagement Organizer to build political education about the food system into all curricula; identify leaders among participants and provide further opportunity for engagement in Communities for Healthy Food activities to create food system change.

·      Work with food pantry staff to expand educational opportunities for pantry clients.

·      Promote eating of fruits and vegetables and overall healthy eating habits, including eating healthy on a budget. Create recipes and curricula that build on the diverse Black southern, Caribbean, and Latino cultural roots of the Bed-Stuy community.

·      Work with the CHFA to:

o   Create synergy between CNKS program activities and all CfHF Programs.

o   Develop the vision and direction of programs.

o   Prepare work plans and project reports according to established timelines.

o   Manage CNKS budget.

o   Create opportunities for NEBHDCo staff engagement in good food practices (potlucks, cooking demonstrations, workshops, etc)

·      Coordinate all planned cooking demonstrations in and outside of NEBHDCo.

Skills and Qualifications

·      BS/BA, MS/MA preferred with a major in food studies, public health, nutrition, dietetics, culinary arts, or a related field.

·      At least 2 years’ experience leading nutrition and/or culinary education programming. Direct teaching experience is a must. Preferred background in popular and experiential education with strong facilitation skills using collaborative and participatory models.

·      Solid expertise with Microsoft Office and other industry-related software

·      Strong listening, interpersonal, networking, oral & written communications skills.

·      Knowledge of community development and/or public health and the neighborhoods of NYC preferred.

·      Ability to interact well with diverse community members, volunteers, and staff.

·      Proven team player who assists others, asks for help when needed and possess the ability to work independently.

Work Hours, Employment Type, Compensation, Start Date

This position is a long-term Consultant position at 20 hours per week, with the possibility to become a salaried part-time or full-time position. The CNEC will be compensated at $25/hour. Hours are flexible and consultant must be flexible to align hours with program needs (set-up, observation, etc); evening and weekend hours should be expected.

Interviews will take place the week of August 31th with a start date of September 7th. Due to programming commitments, the start date is not flexible.

To Apply

Email cover letter and resume to no later than August 26, 2015 to:

Bianca Bockman, Community Healthy Food Advocate, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

​