NFS-L Archives

August 2013

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
May May Leung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:06:55 +0000

Seeking Dynamic Food Justice Interns (Part-time)

The Children's Aid Society is seeking dynamic interns to assist in a 30-week, after-school Food Justice program for middle school students in East Harlem and the South Bronx.

Our Food Justice program aims to empower young people to explore what food means to them and to their community from various perspectives, including how it intersects with their neighborhood's cultural, racial, economic, ecological, historical and health landscapes. The program will run concurrently at 4 different sites and engage 15 middle school students each. The program will include class discussions, activities, and cooking; field trips to local farms, gardens and markets; a community food assessment; photography, videography and social media; and a final event where students share their work with one another. Our goals are to positively impact students' food choice, voice and action, which includes increasing their awareness of healthy eating and food justice, and empowering them to plan and implement effective Community Food Justice projects.

The principal responsibilities of our Food Justice Intern will be to assist teachers with the delivery of program. This includes arriving early to set up classroom, co-teaching lessons, facilitating ice-breaker activities with students, as well as staying after class to help clean up. The expected hours are 2.5 each week, with an optional 2 hour curriculum meeting once every 2 weeks. This is a 30 week commitment and includes a $500 stipend.  This position is ideal for undergraduate or graduate students in the public health and/or nutrition.

Please email resume and cover letter to:
Kaitlin Dougherty
Food Justice Program Coordinator, The Children's Aid Society
No calls please

May May Leung, PhD, RD
Assistant Professor
CUNY School of Public Health at Hunter College
2180 Third Avenue
Ph: 212.396.7774