NFS-L Archives

November 2014

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
arlene spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:15:56 -0500

United Way of New York City is hiring a nutritionist.  See below and
attached.

Stacey McCarthy, MPH | Assistant Director  | Hunger Prevention Nutrition
Assistance Program

United Way of New York City | 205 E. 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017 |
212.251.4060 | [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Nutritionist

Hunger Prevention and Nutrition Assistance Program (HPNAP), Community Impact
Department

United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and
organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve
the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide
system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision
caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to
quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure
lives.  We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both
internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability,
and Superior Performance.

UWNYC works side-by-side with individuals, nonprofits, government,
businesses, foundations, faith-based organizations, and community partners
in developing strategies to produce far-reaching results.  We create and
fund initiatives focused on improving the quality of life for individuals
and families; provide technical assistance, leadership development, and
other support to strengthen the capacity of our nonprofit partners; and
advocate on important issues affecting our communities.

THE POSITION

Summary of Position

UWNYC'S Hunger Prevention and Nutrition Assistance Program (HPNAP) seeks to
improve the health and nutrition status of people in need of food assistance
in New York City.  HPNAP provides food and operations support funding,
training and technical assistance to more than 400 pantries and soup
kitchens. Our hunger prevention and nutrition strategies are intended to
improve the health status of vulnerable New Yorkers by not just providing
meals and groceries, but also improving the nutritional value of the food
they eat and providing nutrition education to emergency food operators. Our
program model ensures a minimum of 15% of emergency foods distributed are
fresh fruits and vegetables and the all items adhere to rigorous nutrition
guidelines.

The Nutritionist will be responsible for coordinating Local Produce Link,
our farm to food pantry program, and other nutrition initiatives for HPNAP.
Primary responsibilities include working collaboratively with our partner
organization to manage the program, develop and implement nutrition
education and sustainable agriculture-related resources and initiatives, and
provide technical assistance trainings and workshops.

REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of HPNAP

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

Local Produce Link Program Management

*	Manage the application, recruitment, and selection process for new
food pantries

*         Develop contracts for food pantries and farmers that include
program requirements and deliverables designed to meet program goals

*         Develop content and conduct annual contract workshops and end of
season meeting for food pantry staff

*         Develop and administer program evaluation surveys to food pantries

*         Monitor food pantries for compliance with food distribution,
reporting, and communication requirements

*         Provide onsite technical assistance and training to food pantries
to encourage compliance with program requirements

Local Produce Link Nutrition and Farm Education

*         Develop and conduct nutrition education workshops for food pantry
staff

*         Develop nutrition and farm education resources for pantry staff
and clients

*         Conduct farm education workshops at food pantries and at
partnering farms

*         Work with partner organization to coordinate and manage 100
cooking demonstrations for pantry clients

Emergency Food Program Monitoring and Program Review

*         Conduct site monitoring visits to food pantries and soup kitchens
for food safety,  nutrition, and administrative compliance

*         Educate food pantry staff and volunteers in food safety and
nutrition through the provision of workshops, trainings and newsletters

QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS

The Nutritionist requires a thorough understanding and past work experience
in community nutrition, nutrition education, and/or public health. The
Nutritionist must be able to work independently and collaboratively with
internal and external existing organizational partners.

*	A master's degree in nutrition, public health and/or health
education from an accredited institution, preferred, or a Registered
Dietitian with at least four years of professional experience in community
nutrition, preferred.

*	Experience creating and implementing nutrition education at the
community level
*	Knowledge of and experience with the nonprofit sector, sustainable
and local agriculture, and food systems

*         Knowledge of nutrition research methods and program evaluation

*	Excellent organizational, project management, and time-management
skills
*	Strong presentation, public speaking and meeting facilitation skills

*	Strong team orientation, relationship-building and negotiation
skills, and ability to collaborate with diverse groups of people
*	Clear and strong written and oral communication skills
*	Proficient in MS Office Suite

To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  with the title Nutritionist in the subject
caption. Please no calls or faxes. Candidate must be able to pass a
comprehensive background and reference check.

United Way of NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer

---