PREMEDINFO-L Archives

July 2007, Week 4

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:33:42 -0400
See below.  Take a dry erase marker and the eraser with you!

  _____

I recently had several reports from students taking both the MCAT and DAT
that the dry erase markers they were provided by Prometric lacked any
semblance of a point, making it impossible to take notes or read
calculations they made on the wipe-off sheets.  For one student in
particular, I was told that it totally messed up his strategies in the
Physical Science and Verbal sections.  His scores, as predicted, indicated
this problem.  I've started telling my students to take with them their own
dry-erase marker with a solid point in case this comes up.  Some are still
getting to use paper for calculations, while others get the wipe-off sheets
and have to wait for the proctor to wipe off the sheet for them.  What a
pain!

I understand the complexity of trying to have uniformity throughout the
Prometric system and realize that this isn't a perfect world.  However, as
long as medical school admissions place such GREAT importance on a one-day
exam, we must fight for the rights of our students through whatever means
available to us as advisors.  I agree with Ed that the MCAT demonstrates the
haves and have-nots in the applicant pool.  Rarely have I seen someone of a
disadvantaged background "wow" us with a score.  Why not make this the year
that less emphasis is placed on the MCAT when viewing applicants?  It's a
simple matter and easily administrated by admissions offices.  Weigh the GPA
more heavily, especially the most recent 60 hours and use that as the
indicator of the applicant's strength and ability to be successful in
medical school curriculum.

If we all stick together on this issue, perhaps we can affect change in the
system!

If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".