PREMEDINFO-L Archives

January 2018, Week 3

From:
Kemile A Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:32:15 +0000
Dear Students:

In addition to the human rights courses/electives we shared with you last week, we are writing to bring your attention to two more not-to-be missed human rights cognates that will be offered next semester:

-          SOC 3251N Environmental Sociology and

-          PHILO 346-01 Contemporary Theories of Justice

We are also sending along a final reminder regarding our incredible "HR 320.05 Resource Extraction, Development and Human Rights" course which still has some seats remaining.

Please see full descriptions for all three courses below (and be sure to register asap if interested!!):

SOC 3251N Environmental Sociology
Mondays and Wednesdays, 5:35-6:50pm
Professor Jack Hammond <http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/sociology/faculty/john-hammond>
This course will cover the relation between human communities and the "natural" and built environment.  ("Natural" is in quotation marks because, as we will discover, what constitutes nature is subject to debate.)  It will examine that interaction and its benefits and drawbacks for human communities and for other species. We will examine the political economy underlying these relations and the cultural meanings that they carry.  Environmental justice within and between nations. The effect of production processes, energy use, technology, and consumption patterns on the environment. Environmental damage as a byproduct of everyday interaction processes. We will study the environmental crisis, though that will not be the main focus of the course. We will examine recognition and denial of human-made climate change and the reception and rejection of science in politics and in the public. Movements to protect the environment; movements for environmental justice to secure equitable environmental outcomes for marginalized groups. Please see more information in the attached description. For those enrolled in the Human Rights Program (either the Minor or Certificate), this cognate qualifies as a human rights elective.

PHILO 346-01 Contemporary Theories of Justice
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:35-6:50pm, HW506
Distinguished Professor Carol Gould<http://www.roosevelthouse.hunter.cuny.edu/?faculty=carol-gould>
The issue of how to distribute economic, social and political benefits (and also burdens) has been a major focus of recent work in political philosophy and is also contested among citizens in contemporary democracies. This course will begin by analyzing the concept of distributive justice as it has been variously discussed from liberal, libertarian, communitarian, social democratic, and feminist ethics perspectives, by such philosophers as John Rawls, Robert Nozick, Alastair MacIntyre, G. A. Cohen, and Susan Okin. Nancy Fraser's account of the role of recognition in relation to redistribution will also frame an application of justice to current controversies regarding race and gender. Yet, in view of the growing interrelations of societies and economies worldwide, the crucial question of global justice presents itself for consideration, in terms of our obligations to alleviate poverty and to establish a more egalitarian world order. Here, a requirement to fulfill people's economic and social human rights, in addition to their political and civil ones, comes to the fore. The course will discuss a variety of cosmopolitan approaches to justice, including those of Charles Beitz, Simon Caney, and Martha Nussbaum, and will touch on some of the institutional changes that would be required in order to meet people's basic needs and economic human rights worldwide. Students will have an opportunity to relate the course readings to their own special interests in an analytical term paper, and will be expected to contribute to class discussion and give a short oral presentation on one of the course topics. Readings will be available on Blackboard. For those enrolled in the Human Rights Program (either the Minor or Certificate), this cognate qualifies as a human rights elective.

***FINAL REMINDER:

[cid:image002.png@01D38EC6.0A4DDC60]HR 320.05 Resource Extraction, Development and Human Rights*
Tuesdays, 5:10pm - 8:00pm, RH 304, 3 credits
Jehanne Henry, Senior Researcher, Africa Division, Human Rights Watch
This course evaluates the human rights impacts of investment and development projects, including projects in extractive industries (oil, gas, metals and minerals), manufacturing (such as the garment industry) and large-scale infrastructure (such as dams).  The course critically examines the role that international financial institutions, development agencies, and the private sector often play in perpetuating extreme wealth inequality and entrenching human rights abuses.  Students will also explore how and whether rights-based approaches to investment and development can help level the playing field. The instructor, Jehanne Henry, is a senior researcher in the Africa Division at Human Rights Watch with tremendous knowledge on resource conflicts and human rights as well as extensive field experience in Sudan, South Sudan, and Kenya.

*A note that while our HR 200 Introduction to Human Rights class is a prerequisite for 300-level courses, including HR 320.05 Resource Extraction, Development and Human Rights, we are able to grant students permission, on a case-by-case basis, to enroll without having completed that requirement - just let us know if you're interested!

We hope you are able to register for one or more of these incredible courses! If interested, we encourage you to register as soon as possible to reserve your seat.

Please see the flyers attached for more information about all our courses, including our popular "HR 200 Introduction to Human Rights" course (which is filling up quickly!). For the full list of Spring 2018 human rights courses, including those offered in other departments, please click here<http://www.roosevelthouse.hunter.cuny.edu/hrp/hrp-courses/spring-2018-human-rights-courses/>.

We look forward to seeing you next semester!

Many thanks, and enjoy the rest of your break,
Kelsey

--
Kelsey Adolphs
Program Associate