PREMEDINFO-L Archives

October 2006, Week 3

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:56:45 -0400
Here is a template you can feel free to attach to your evaluations as you
ask for them from faculty. I hope this makes it easier for faculty and
others to write great letters on your behalf!
  _____

PREHEALTH EVALUATIONS AND/OR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION

Guidelines for Letter Writers

Thank you for agreeing to write a evaluation/letter of recommendation for
application to health professions school.

Hunter students are required to submit evaluations from all science courses
in which they have received a B- or better.  These evaluations, especially
the comments you make, are an essential part of the Prehealth Committee's
letter. We request evaluations of every science faculty/TA-we encourage
students to submit at least two letters of recommendation from faculty in
any department who knows them well.

Evaluations/Letters should address the following areas or questions:

*        Indicate in what capacity you have known the applicant.

*        Assess the applicant's academic skills and potential (if
applicable) - How well does the student read write and analyze? Was the
course he/she took with you a particularly rigorous one? If so, why? Discuss
specifically the student's work in the course (s). For example, mentioning
the topic of a student's paper, or the types of comments he/she contributed
to class discussions makes the recommendation substantive and convincing.

*        Include information about the applicant's personal qualities (i.e.
integrity, determination, motivation, leadership, maturity, reliability).
Does the applicant have special interests, striking personal qualities, or
an interesting background? If you are familiar with a student's
extra-curricular or employment activities you can also note these.

*        Information regarding the applicant's social skills (e.g. ability
to interact with others in groups, interpersonal skills).

*        What information do you have about this applicant that may be
relevant and is not likely to be available from other sources?

*        How does this applicant compare to other students you have taught
(or if you are an employer, individuals with whom you have worked?)

*        Please submit the letter on our evaluation form or letterhead and
sign it. You may send it electronically from our webpage at:
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/arts_sci/premedinfo.shtml

*          If you have any questions, please feel free to contact my office
at 772-5242. Thank you for taking the time to write on behalf of the
applicant.