PREMEDINFO-L Archives

June 2008, Week 1

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:25:46 -0400
FYI.

  _____

From: lets get ready account [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 6:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Volunteer Opportunity at Let's Get Ready

Dear Pre-Med Club at Hunter,

Hi, my name is Nayla Scaramello. I am the site director for the Let's Get
Ready! Urban Assembly Manhattan site for summer 2008. I am emailing you
because I have a great community service opportunity for your members
staying in the New York City area this summer and I hope you will be able to
send along an email to your group's list-serve to inform your members of
this amazing volunteer position. Below is a blurb about the volunteer
opportunity that you can email to your group and that you can also read to
decide if it's right for your group. Given your commitment to community
service, I think some of your members will find this a worthwhile
opportunity. Thank you.

Let's Get Ready! is looking for college students to serve as tutors and
mentors to high school students from underserved communities in the NYC
area. Let's Get Ready! is a non-profit organization that provides free SAT
prep and college mentoring to underserved high school students. Each tutor,
called an LGR coach, receives extensive training to teach a small class of
high school students in either the Math or Critical Reading/Writing sections
of the SAT. In addition, coaches act as peer-resources for information on
all aspects of collegiate life and deliver workshops concerning the college
application process. The key to Let's Get Ready's success (LGR students see
an average increase of 110 points on their SATs) are the college student
volunteers who, having recently endured the rigors of the college
application process, are able to empathize and encourage the high school
students during this critical period.

This summer, the Urban Assembly LGR program will run in 333 West 17th St,
New York, NY, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-8pm (coaches typically devote
one evening per week on classes and attend biweekly coach meetings). Coaches
are additionally required to attend a mandatory training session on June
21st, 2008.

To find out more about this opportunity, you can go to Let's Get Ready's
website at www.letsgetready.org <http://www.letsgetready.org/>  or contact
the Site Director, Nayla Scaramello, and the Assistant Site Director, Matt
Brody, via e-mail at [log in to unmask]

If you know this is for you, you can apply at: Coach Application
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=MfHKGqLf_2fLvj6Gc3q0K9og_3d_3d> .
Applications are due June 11, 2008.

I hope you take advantage of this incredible leadership opportunity that
will enable you to give back to your community in a very meaningful way.

Sincerely,

Nayla Scaramello

If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".