PREMEDINFO-L Archives

February 2010, Week 4

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:05:49 -0500
FYI. Please contact them directly for any additional information.

Subject: Summer in Biomedical Science (SIBS) Undergraduate Research Program
2010

Dear Colleague -
I would like to make you aware of an exciting opportunity for your
undergraduate students - the Summer in Biomedical Science (SIBS)
Undergraduate Research Program 2010.
This summer, the Departments of Environmental Health Sciences, Biochemistry,
Cell Biology, Genetics, Medicine, Microbiology, Pathology, Physiology and
Biophysics, Pharmacology and Toxicology, and the Arthritis and
Musculoskeletal Center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham are
sponsoring an eight week program in which selected undergraduate students
will conduct laboratory research under the guidance of individual UAB
faculty members.
Student recipients of this competitive fellowship receive a stipend of $2000
for the summer.  Students will receive free on-campus housing but will be
responsible for their own meals, travel to and from Birmingham, and other
expenses.  The program dates will be May 31 - July 23, 2010.  The
application deadline is March 12, 2010.
We expect applicants to SIBS to have completed at least their sophomore year
of undergraduate coursework.  We anticipate that successful candidates will
typically demonstrate grade point averages of 3.0 ("B") or higher,
especially in science, math, and related areas.
Our goal in offering this fellowship is to give talented students the
opportunity to experience the challenges and rewards of intensive,
hypothesis-drive laboratory research.  This experience should help students
make well informed decisions about future career plans.  Previous research
experience is not required.  We especially welcome applications from
students who are interested in research as a potential career, including
students interested in PhD and MD/PhD programs.
I would like to thank you in advance for posting our SIBS flyer (attached to
this email as a pdf file) and distributing the information to the
appropriate students in your department.  Students can learn more about SIBS
and obtain the Application Form online at  <http://www.uab.edu/sibs>
www.uab.edu/sibs or by contacting me at  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Sincerely,
Robin G. Lorenz, M.D., Ph.D.
Program Director
SIBS Undergraduate Research Program
1825 University Blvd., SHEL 602
Birmingham, AL  35294-2170
Email:   <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
Phone: 1-205-934-0676
Fax:     1-205-996-9113
Website:  <http://www.uab.edu/sibs> http://www.uab.edu/sibs

If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".