PREMEDINFO-L Archives

March 2008, Week 3

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:19:21 -0400
This is from the prehealth website.  Feel free to share it with those who
are writing letters on your behalf.

Guidelines for Letter Writers
Thank you for agreeing to write a evaluation/letter of recommendation for
application to health professions school.

Hunter students are required to submit evaluations from all science courses
in which they have received a B- or better. These evaluations, especially
the comments you make, are an essential part of the Prehealth Committee's
letter. We request evaluations of every science faculty/TA-we encourage
students to submit at least two letters of recommendation from faculty in
any department who knows them well.

Evaluations/Letters should address the following areas or questions:

*	Letters should be addressed to the Prehealth Committee of Hunter
College.

*	Indicate in what capacity you have known the applicant.

*	Assess the applicant's academic skills and potential (if applicable)
- How well does the student read write and analyze? Was the course he/she
took with you a particularly rigorous one? If so, why? Discuss specifically
the student's work in the course(s). For example, mentioning the topic of a
student's paper, or the types of comments he/she contributed to class
discussions makes the recommendation substantive and convincing.

*	Include information about the applicant's personal qualities (i.e.
integrity, determination, motivation, leadership, maturity, reliability).
Does the applicant have special interests, striking personal qualities, or
an interesting background? If you are familiar with a student's
extra-curricular or employment activities you can also note these.

*	Information regarding the applicant's social skills (e.g. ability to
interact with others in groups, interpersonal skills).

*	What information do you have about this applicant that may be
relevant and is not likely to be available from other sources?

*	How does this applicant compare to other students you have taught
(or if you are an employer, individuals with whom you have worked?)

*	Please submit the letter on our evaluation form or letterhead and
sign it. You may also send a letter via email: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

*

Please see our website for further information.  We would be happy to answer
other questions if you cannot find the answers you need at our site.  We do
not admit students so please contact our Admissions office for questions
regarding entry into the College.

Office hours for spring 2008

M-Th 10AM-12PM, Wed and Thurs 2-3PM, Tues 2-4PM

L.Wood-Hill

Director, Prehealth Professions Programs

Hunter College of CUNY

695 Park Ave, E812

NY, NY 10021

212-772-5244/5242