PREMEDINFO-L Archives

January 2018, Week 2

From:
Kemile A Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:31:56 +0000
Hello!

I am writing to let you know about the Undergraduate Healthcare Leadership Internship (UHLI) Program through the Daniel Hanley Center for Health Leadership.

The Hanley Center's mission is to develop Maine's healthcare workforce.  The Hanley Center is offering 23 PAID summer internships at a variety of healthcare organizations across the state.  Students should consider the Center's mission when filling out their application, and priority will be given to applicants with strong ties to the state of Maine and an interest in practicing here once they join the workforce.

Deadline for submission is Feb 2 and decisions will be announced in early March.

A description of the program can be found at:

http://www.hanleyleadership.org/leadership-programs/undergraduate-internships/

And internships are posted at
http://www.hanleyleadership.org/leadership-programs/undergraduate-internships/internships/
Please be sure to have your students check back as additional sites may become available

The application and recommendation form are online at
http://www.hanleyleadership.org/leadership-programs/undergraduate-internships/apply-internship/

A couple of thoughts.  1) We ask that students meet with and discuss their applications with their advisors.  Please make sure that they have read the Hanley website and thought about and address the mission of Hanley Center in their applications.  We will have so many qualified applicants that students that cannot demonstrate a strong connection to the state of Maine are unlikely to be considered.  2) Please make sure the students follow all directions.  We ask that materials be uploaded as .pdf files.  It is up to the students to ensure that letter writers submit their letters.  3) We ask that students choose their top 3 sites.  They will write a cover letter for each of those sites, and they should make sure to address the qualifications as they apply to that specific site.  These cover letters will be considered by the application committee.  Historically, the Portland internship sites have received the most applications, and so students keen on receiving an internship might want to consider sites elsewhere in the state.  4) As these opportunities are paid, we request that students NOT ask sites for academic credit for their internships.

Please let me know if you have any questions ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Seth J. Ramus, PhD | Director, Health Professions Advising
Center for Co-Curricular Opportunities
Bowdoin College
4901 College Station
Brunswick, ME 04011

[cid:image001.png@01CD8B7F.CD7448F0]

I learned about a lot of things in medical school, but mortality wasn't one of them. - Atul Gawande