PREMEDINFO-L Archives

February 2007, Week 2

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:10:25 -0500

Kaplan MCAT  <http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog> Instant
Analysis

Email this page
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/emailthispage.php>
  _____

MCAT Test Day Podcast
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=27>

Jan 30th 2007 4:51pm

Discussion of the new computer MCAT from the experts at Kaplan.

The Computer Interface
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=26>

Jan 30th 2007 8:56am

What was the hardest part about the computer testing interface?

“when reviewing just the marked problem you couldn’t tell that the
‘marked’ questions were marked until you clicked on them. if you hit next
button it took you to the next passage instead of the next marked question.
so if there were mulitple questions on the same passage that were marked you
had to go through them all or reload the review screen.”
-ARIZONA

“old school computer monitors! I was literally sitting less than 10 inches
away from the screen.”
-CALIFORNIA

“because I had practiced only on the computer, i was used to it, so i
didn’t think that the interface was especially difficult”
-CONNECTICUT

“My computer froze and that threw me off.”
-ILLINOIS

“It was not so much the interface as the checking in and out and
fingerprinting on every break.”
-MINNESOTA

“The screen was archaic and gave me a headache. Also it reflected the
lighting in the room. It was distracting.”
-NEW YORK

“they gave me the wrong questions with my passage and so was unable to
finish my verbal portion of the exam and could not be re-allotted the time
which was taken from me while reporting to my test center administrator”
-TENNESSEE

MCAT Tactics: Calculation
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=25>

Jan 27th 2007 4:46pm

Which of the following best describes how you handled questions that
required calculation?

January Computer MCAT
August Paper MCAT
I usually solved the equation to a final number
19%
25%
I usually estimated and picked the closest answer
81%
75%

Comparing Computer vs. Paper
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=24>

Jan 27th 2007 4:35pm

For each section of the exam, please tell us whether you think it would have
been easier on computer, easier on paper, or about the same:

Section
Easier on computer
Easier on paper
About the same
Physical Sciences
26%
32%
43%
Verbal Reasoning
20%
52%
28%
Writing Sample
77%
7%
16%
Biological Sciences
33%
18%
50%

Managing the Pressure of the Big Day
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=23>

Jan 27th 2007 4:29pm

How much do you feel your performance on the MCAT this weekend was
negatively impacted by anxiety?

Not at all 	17%
Not too much 	47%
Somewhat 	27%
Very much 	9%

January 2007 Exam - Most Challenging Section
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=22>

Jan 27th 2007 4:25pm

Which section of your exam did you find MOST difficult?

Physical Sciences 	44%
Verbal Reasoning 	40%
Writing Sample 	3%
Biological Sciences 	13%

Note: multiple respondents reported a glitch during the Verbal section, in
which questions did not match the passage with which they were paired.

First Reports Coming In…
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=21>

Jan 27th 2007 3:19pm

Bookmark this link! Stay tuned as we’ll be posting Instant Analysis from
today’s first-ever administration of the new computer MCAT format.

Good Luck Today <http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=20>

Jan 27th 2007 11:19am

Today is the first official administration of the new MCAT, and we’ll be
blogging here today and Monday as we learn more about the big debut.

If you’re testing today or Monday, good luck from all of us on the MCAT
Team at Kaplan!

MCAT Tactics  <http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=17> -
August 2006 Exam

Aug 19th 2006 8:05pm

MCAT Tactics: Taking the Exam In/Out of Order

On the Physical Sciences section this weekend, did you read the passages in
the order they appeared in your test booklet?

I read the passages:

In the order they appeared	 58%
In a different order	 42%

  _____

On the Verbal Reasoning section this weekend, did you read the passages in
the order they appeared in your test booklet?

I read the passages:

In the order they appeared	 67%
In a different order	 33%

  _____

On the Biological Sciences section this weekend, did you read the passages
in the order they appeared in your test booklet?

I read the passages:

In the order they appeared	 52%
In a different order	 48%

  _____

When did you do the Discrete (no passage) questions in your Physical and
Biological sections?

At the beginning of the section	 52%
All in the middle of the section	 8%
All at the end of the section	 0%
In the order they appeared	 25%
In another order	 13%

  _____

MCAT Tactics: Approaching Passages

On the Physical Sciences section this weekend, how did you approach each
passage before attempting to answer the questions?

I read every word	 51%
I read parts of the passage	 25%
I skimmed the whole passage	 23%
I went straight to the questions	 1%

On the Verbal Reasoning section this weekend, how did you approach each
passage before attempting to answer the questions?

I read every word	 86%
I read parts of the passage	 8%
I skimmed the whole passage	 6%
I went straight to the questions	 0%

On the Biological Sciences section this weekend, how did you approach each
passage before attempting to answer the questions?

I read every word	 56%
I read parts of the passage	 25%
I skimmed the whole passage	 19%
I went straight to the questions	 1%

  _____

MCAT Tactics: Calculation

Which of the following best describes how you handles quesitons that
required calculation?

I usually solved the equation to a final number	 25%
I usually estimated and picked the closest answer	 75%

August 2006 MCAT: Most Challenging Aspects
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=16>

Aug 19th 2006 8:03pm

Which section of your exam did you find MOST difficult?

Physical Sciences 	32%
Verbal Reasoning 	36%
Writing Sample 	2%
Biological Sciences 	31%

The Test Site: Stories of the Good, Bad,
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=14> & Ugly

Aug 19th 2006 8:03pm

Some stories from Kaplan students in the prior April 2006 exam:

it was absolutely perfect. great table space, great proctors, perfect
weather. everything was great.
MISSOURI-Saint Louis, Saint Louis C C - Forest Park

loved it, huge tables all to yourself, not too many people, good temp, no
noise, nice proctors
WISCONSIN-Oshkosh, Univ of Wisconsin - Oshkosh

There were animals in the hall making a lot of noise during verbal reasoning
because we were in the Animal Science Bldg. Also, we had very tiny desks,
about 10×12 inches whereas other students had large tables.
NEBRASKA-Lincoln, Univ of Nebraska - Lincoln

I actually was assigned to Boston University Law School and the testing site
would have been spectacular if our room was not taken by a law convention.
Due to this the origination was totally messed up and the exam did not start
till 10:00. We did not get out of the testing center until 7:00. If I did
not take the Kaplan prep MCAT’s my energy would have been spent!!! But was
ready to expect anything and Kaplan helped prepare me for any situation. As
a result this confusion did not mess with my mental toughness or
concentration.
MASSACHUSETTS-Boston, John Hancock Conference Center

It was freezing cold and the desks were the size of my hand!
ILLINOIS-Champaign, Univ of Illinois-Urbana Champaign

loved the room, a little cold but nice and spacious few real distractions
NEBRASKA-Omaha, Univ of Nebraska at Omaha

This is the worst place to test. The school band was playing, a different
test was taking place and the proctor had to continuously leave the room to
tell people to be quiet in the halls. It was very loud in there.
NEBRASKA-Omaha, Univ of Nebraska at Omaha

It’s a great site! Highly recommend it. Courteous staff, quiet environs,
spacious rooms and comfortable seating.
TEXAS-Dallas, Bill J Priest Inst for Econ Dev

construction was occurring on the other side of the wall - drills, hammers,
jackhammers, you name it
TEXAS-Austin, Univ of Texas at Austin

It was the Spring Festival weekend at Brown. Although they posted a number
of signs around the testing site, there were noise problems. At one point,
one of the proctors went outside to quiet a rock cocert that was going on
nearby.
RHODE ISLAND-Providence, Brown University

the tables were wobbly and it smelled funny. Kind of like fish sticks
VIRGINIA-Lexington, Washington and Lee University

the chairs were very uncomfortable and the desks were way too small. The
exam proctors had no idea what they were doing. All in all it was a very
unpleasant experience
ILLINOIS-Chicago, Illinois Institute of Technology

It was very nice! The proctors were efficient. There were no test
abnormalities. Everything went according to plan.
MARYLAND-Rockville, Univ of Maryland System

We were RIGHT next to the metro rail, which although wasn’t annoying on
it’s own, would set off a car alarm. The car alarm went of 5 TIMES during
the Biological Sciences protion of the exam. It was RIDICULOUS!
FLORIDA-Miami, Miami Dade Coll - Wolfson Campus

COLD, then HOT, then COLD again. Cold was less distracting. Wear shorts, but
bring snowpants. Other than that it was fantastic.
UTAH-Ogden, Weber State University

Excellent, but a weird painting of the people whom the building was named
after freaked me out.
ILLINOIS-De Kalb, Northern Illinois University

the proctors did an excellent job. We had to use a computer lab and that was
not the BEST place to seat for an exam of this nature
MISSOURI-Kirksville, Truman State University

It was well organized.
MICHIGAN-East Lansing, Michigan State University

Test Anxiety: Managing the Pressure of the Big
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=15> Day

Aug 19th 2006 5:27pm

How much do you feel your performance on the MCAT this weekend was
negatively impacted by anxiety?

Not at all 	16%
Not too much 	38%
Somewhat 	39%
Very much 	8%

Breaks - To Study or Not
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=19>

Aug 19th 2006 5:24pm

Did you study at all during your break time between sections this weekend?

Yes 	66%
No 	34%

First Sites Adjourn on East Coast
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=12>

Aug 19th 2006 4:21pm

We’re beginning to hear from East Coast test takers. Bookmark this site -
we’ll be updating with more information all evening.

Test Day Rituals
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=13>

Aug 19th 2006 12:54pm

Some Test Day rituals from the previous exam date (April):

Starbucks: Triple Grande Extra Hot Non Fat Sugar Free Vanilla Latte

Blare the song “Eye of the Tiger” from Rocky on the way to the testing
site.

I went to yoga and went climbing the day before. I did this to relax and
tire my body, so I could sleep the night before and so that I would be able
to sit through the exam.

lucky boxers that i wear for all science tests this semester…always shower
the morning of the test and listen to my ipod, usually the same songs

Wore the same outfit that I wore when I took a test and received a high
score. Put up “dream catchers” in my room the night before the exam. Had a
good luck note from my mom in my pocket.

I go to a pet store where they let you play with puppies- very relaxing the
day before the test

Just everything that Kaplan suggested  :)
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/wp-images/smilies/icon
_smile.gif>

I met with another examinee at 7am at Starbucks. We had coffee and went over
flash cards for an hour before reporting to the test center. It really
helped me wake up and get my mind going before sitting down to take the
exam.

I played some Queen music (We will Rock You and We are the Champions)

I went to the testing room the night before the exam and sat in the seats. I
got a feel for the room, to see if it was hot/cold, if the lighting was
good/bad, etc.

Every Saturday for the past 5 weeks, I’ve packed the same lunch and snacks
for the practice tests and the real tests. Helped to make the MCAT seem like
“just another Saturday practice.”

snap my fingers 4 times

I watched a happy movie the night before. And for all my sit ups, time on
the back/treadmill, etc, I did “37″ of whatever- my target score.

I listen to happy Disney songs before the exam

I had pizza on a pier, I drove by hospitals in order to get psyched up.

Good Luck Today!
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=11>

Aug 19th 2006 12:52pm

Bookmark this page! We’ll be sharing results here from our Instant Analysis
Survey about today’s exam.

Breaks - To Study or Not
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=10>

Apr 23rd 2006 12:12pm

Did you study at all during your break time between sections this weekend?

Yes 	68%
No 	32%

What time did your MCAT adjourn today?
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=7>

Apr 22nd 2006 7:29pm

  <http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/time_adjourned.jpg>

MCAT Tactics  <http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=5> -
April 2006 Exam

Apr 22nd 2006 7:04pm

MCAT Tactics: Taking the Exam In/Out of Order

On the Physical Sciences section this weekend, did you read the passages in
the order they appeared in your test booklet?

I read the passages:

In the order they appeared	 61%
In a different order	 39%

  _____

On the Verbal Reasoning section this weekend, did you read the passages in
the order they appeared in your test booklet?

I read the passages:

In the order they appeared	 70%
In a different order	 30%

  _____

On the Biological Sciences section this weekend, did you read the passages
in the order they appeared in your test booklet?

I read the passages:

In the order they appeared	 53%
In a different order	 47%

  _____

When did you do the Discrete (no passage) questions in your Physical and
Biological sections?

At the beginning of the section	 49%
All in the middle of the section	 6%
All at the end of the section	 1%
In the order they appeared	 31%
In another order	 12%

  _____

MCAT Tactics: Approaching Passages

On the Physical Sciences section this weekend, how did you approach each
passage before attempting to answer the questions?

I read every word	 54%
I read parts of the passage	 22%
I skimmed the whole passage	 22%
I went straight to the questions	 2%

On the Verbal Reasoning section this weekend, how did you approach each
passage before attempting to answer the questions?

I read every word	 86%
I read parts of the passage	 6%
I skimmed the whole passage	 8%
I went straight to the questions	 0%

On the Biological Sciences section this weekend, how did you approach each
passage before attempting to answer the questions?

I read every word	 53%
I read parts of the passage	 24%
I skimmed the whole passage	 22%
I went straight to the questions	 1%

  _____

MCAT Tactics: Calculation

Which of the following best describes how you handles quesitons that
required calculation?

I usually solved the equation to a final number	 23%
I usually estimated and picked the closest answer	 77%

April 2006 MCAT: Most Challenging Aspects
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=6>

Apr 22nd 2006 7:03pm

Which section of your exam did you find MOST difficult?

Physical Sciences 	24%
Verbal Reasoning 	35%
Writing Sample 	3%
Biological Sciences 	38%

 <http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/index.php?paged=2> ≪
Previous Entries

*

*

*

	Categories

*	Test  <http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?cat=1>
Day (25)

*

	MCAT Prep Options

*	MCAT
<http://www.kaptest.com/Kaplan/Article/Pre-Med/MCAT/View-Kaplan-Programs/Cla
ssroom-Programs/PM_mcat_class.html> Classroom Course

*	MCAT
<http://www.kaptest.com/Kaplan/5/Pre-Med/MCAT/View-Kaplan-Programs/Summer-In
tensive?ProductId=> Summer Intensive

*	MCAT
<http://www.kaptest.com/Kaplan/Article/Pre-Med/MCAT/View-Kaplan-Programs/PM_
mcat_tutoring.html?ProductId=> Private Tutoring

*	MCAT
<http://www.kaptest.com/Kaplan/5/Pre-Med/MCAT/View-Kaplan-Programs/Online-Pr
ograms?ProductId=> Online Course

*	MCAT
<http://www.kaptest.com/Kaplan/Article/Pre-Med/MCAT/View-Kaplan-Programs/Onl
ine-Programs/PM_mcat_qbank.html?ProductId=959> Qbank

*	MCAT
<http://www.kaptest.com/catalog/templates/category.jhtml?rcid=200042&CATID=2
00146> Books

*

	Archives

*	January
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?m=200701> 2007

*	August
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?m=200608> 2006

*	April
<http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?m=200604> 2006

  _____

Kaplan MCAT Instant Analysis is proudly powered by WordPress
<http://wordpress.org>
Entries
<feed:http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?feed=rss2> (RSS)
and Comments