PREMEDINFO-L Archives

July 2007, Week 4

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:06:35 -0400
I thought I would alert you to a real problem for those of you readying for
the August and September MCAT.  As you know, Prometric test centers are
being used to administer the exam.

Many of these centers have old computers.  Old computers mean that scrolling
back and forth will be a challenge and your ability to highlight may be
non-existent!

Please check with your center and find out what type of computers will be in
use and see whether or not you can see the machines and maybe fiddle with
them in advance so that you know what you are dealing with (this may not be
a realistic suggestion but give it shot).

I have heard horror stories around the country: scrolling problems, flashing
screens, highlighting unavailable, network crashes that stop the exam for
several hours, testing personnel showing up late and then taking attendance
while the test is in session already!

I could go on and on but the bottom line is that medical schools are not
hearing the complaints of advisors about this issue (so they will not take a
bad score even it MCAT documents there was a problem) so you need to be
prepared for any problems that arise.

The MCAT folks offer to have you void the test if there are any such
problems and retake it at no cost at another time.

THIS OPTION MEANS POTENTIALLY SITTING OUT A YEAR AS THERE ARE NO MORE SEATS
LEFT ON THE EAST OR WEST COAST FOR ANY DATES BETWEEN NOW AND THE LAST TEST
DATE FOR 2007, September 8TH.

SOME SCHOOLS ARE NOT TAKING September SCORES!   (Downstate is one of them--I
am trying to find out about other schools but so far have not gotten that
information) so September testers should contact the schools they are
interested in applying to so as to not waste money applying somewhere that
will not take your September score.

I am not trying to frazzle you further but I want you all to be prepared for
the possibility of a problem.  If you do have a problem, register a
complaint!  Do not act as if everything is fine.  Note the name of the
proctors as well and be specific about the problem.  Make sure I get a copy
of any complaints filed.

Good luck and God Bless!  Mrs. Wood-Hill

If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".