PREMEDINFO-L Archives

August 2015, Week 3

From:
Kemile A Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:25:42 +0000
New York Methodist Hospital is currently recruiting volunteers for 4 unique programs!<http://www.nym.org/Get-Involved/Volunteer-Opportunities/Volunteer-Programs-List.aspx>

Critical Care Connection Volunteer Program<http://www.nym.org/Get-Involved/Volunteer-Opportunities/Critical-Care-Connection.aspx>
It takes an integrated team of dedicated experts to care for critically ill patients. As a Critical Care Connection Volunteer you will be responsible for a variety of activities that promote excellence in patient care, education, and advocacy in NYM's Intensive Care Unit. With the support and leadership of the Clinical Director of the ICU, Nurse Manager, Chaplains, and Patient Representatives, volunteers will be key players as you interact with patients, their families, physicians, and nurses, in this emotionally charged environment.
Critical Care Connection Volunteers should be:

  *   Mission Driven
  *   Attentive Listeners
  *   Advocacy Focused
  *   Able to aid families on this emotional roller coaster
Requirements:
Minimum Age: at least 19 years old
Minimum Time: Two, 4 hour shifts per week for a total of 150 hours
Times: 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Program Best Suited for:
Pre-Med students, Post-Baccs, and Nursing students

Apply Now!<https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=841357239>

Congestive Heart Failure Volunteer Intervention Program (CHF-VIP)<http://www.nym.org/Get-Involved/Volunteer-Opportunities/chf_vip.aspx>
Volunteers interview CHF patients, using health literacy techniques, to determine the patient's knowledge and ability to grasp the importance of ongoing maintenance of this disease (including: medication regimens, daily weight management, diet adherence and the importance of consistent follow up with physician through post-discharge appointments).  To support the patient at home the volunteers make follow-up phone calls to: boost patient involvement, improve patient awareness, with the goal to ultimately reduce rates of re-hospitalization within thirty days.  CHF-VIP volunteers are also responsible for assisting with mobilization of patients, distributing meal trays, stocking supplies, and any other tasks that facilitate patient-centered care.

Best suited for those with an interest in:

  *   Health literacy
  *   Cardiology
  *   Nursing
Requirements of this program:

  *   Previous patient care experience
  *   Commitment to eight to ten hours a week, with at least four of those hours falling between 8am and 4pm, Monday through Friday.
  *   A full six-month commitment
 Apply Now!<https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=841357239>

Resident Evaluation Project (REP)<http://www.nym.org/Get-Involved/Resident-Evaluation-Project.aspx>
As a teaching hospital our mission to educate new physicians is critical. To ensure quality interactions between Resident Physicians and their patients, we are implementing an ongoing evaluation system, the Resident Evaluation Project (REP).

We are currently recruiting pre-medical students for a unique opportunity to interview patients to determine their satisfaction with physician interactions.  Volunteers will be trained to visit patients assigned to the residents and to offer a short questionnaire. Volunteers will gain experience interacting with patients and medical staff under the auspices of the Department of Medicine.

This is a highly competitive volunteer opportunity and requires training and education.
Requirements:

  *   Applicants must be pre-medical and at least in their junior year at a four year college or enrolled in a post baccalaureate program.
  *   Applicants must be able to commit to four to six hours per week for a minimum of six months.
  *   Applicants must be available for shifts beginning at 7:30 a.m.
Desired Qualification:

  *   Bilingual fluency in English and Russian and/or English and Spanish is strongly desired.
Additional Application Step:
In addition to completing the online application<https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=841357239>, each applicant must email a copy of his/her resumé to Wendy Froede<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Director of Volunteer Resources:
Applicants who do not complete both steps will not be considered.

Patient Portal Volunteer Program<http://www.nym.org/Get-Involved/Meaningful-Use.aspx>
The use of technology in healthcare impacts everything we do at the Hospital. New York Methodist is ahead of the curve in the use of electronic medical records and, as a key component of health care reform, we have developed a patient portal that provides access to our patients. This information helps patients to understand their diagnosis and treatment  and is useful after discharge.

Patient Portal volunteers go to the bedside to assist patients and their caregivers in learning how to access their medical information through the MyNYM portal. By teaching patients how to access and utilize MyNYM, volunteers play an active role in encouraging patients to engage more fully their care and treatment. Engaged patients have better health outcomes!

Volunteers will be trained on iPads and supported by our information technology staff.

Program Best Suited For: Pre-health students

Requirements:
Volunteers must commit to two four-hour shifts per week for  a minimum of six months.
Shifts: 8 a.m.-12 p.m., 12-4 p.m. and 4-8 p.m., seven days a week.

Apply Now!<https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=841357239>