PREMEDINFO-L Archives

January 2018, Week 2

From:
Kemile A Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:12:23 +0000
Dear Students:

We hope you're having a wonderful break! We are writing to bring your attention to several incredible courses that are still open for next semester:

HR 200 Introduction to Human Rights
This course explores the historical, philosophical, and legal roots of human rights as a political idea and institutionalized practice, and addresses the contested nature of human rights in contemporary societies. This is a requirement for students pursuing a Minor or Certificate. While the course is quickly filling up, there are still open sections. (See more info in the flyer attached!)

[cid:image002.png@01D38B8D.D5331260]HR 320.05 Resource Extraction, Development and Human Rights*
Tuesdays, 5:10pm - 8:00pm, RH 304, 3 credits
Jehanne Henry, Senior Researcher, Africa Division, Human Rights Watch
This course evaluates the human rights impacts of investment and development projects, including projects in extractive industries (oil, gas, metals and minerals), manufacturing (such as the garment industry) and large-scale infrastructure (such as dams).  The course critically examines the role that international financial institutions, development agencies, and the private sector often play in perpetuating extreme wealth inequality and entrenching human rights abuses.  Students will also explore how and whether rights-based approaches to investment and development can help level the playing field. The instructor, Jehanne Henry, is a senior researcher in the Africa Division at Human Rights Watch with tremendous knowledge on resource conflicts and human rights as well as extensive field experience in Sudan, South Sudan, and Kenya.

*A note that while our HR 200 Introduction to Human Rights class is a prerequisite for 300-level courses, including HR 320.05 Resource Extraction, Development and Human Rights, we are able to grant students permission, on a case-by-case basis, to enroll without having completed that requirement - just let us know if you're interested!

[Roniprofilepic]HR 220.11 The Migration Crisis: Refugee and Immigrant Rights in Policy and Practice
Wednesdays, 4:35pm - 7:25pm, RH 304, 3 credits
Roni Amit, PhD, Human Rights Lawyer & Clinical Fellow, Deportation Defense Clinic, Hofstra Univ.
This course will explore State responses to the migration crisis. Students will learn the theoretical and conceptual underpinnings of refugee law and how political developments affect refugee protection. Students will also examine State responses to migrant flows, including States' increased reliance on detention, immigration, and criminal law. Case studies will explore global and regional responses to migrant crises stemming, for example, from the Syrian civil war and the persecution of the Rohingya in Burma. Case studies will also highlight recent developments in US immigration law, including the DACA repeal, immigration ban(s), increased deportation, and the growing overlap between immigration and criminal law. The instructor, Roni Amit, comes with tremendous knowledge and expertise in immigration and refugee law and practice in the U.S. and abroad.

Finally, the Women and Gender Studies Department is offering WGSP 29007 Prison, Human Rights & Gender (now taught by Dr. Amy Washburn, whose bio you can find here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__amyleighwashburn.com_&d=DwMFAg&c=mRWFL96tuqj9V0Jjj4h40ddo0XsmttALwKjAEOCyUjY&r=NOqes8iMcc69Wd_06QKeenKzaIh2fxXbaeH3uhBhhXbbJZwOjqc6lIDjcvdbi_z6&m=dWoVOXK1uJaihPi7i1txRCV4Y_a38ZEo-gFnpzQ9QTY&s=biY3zYzNZSDUefRn1Ymcn8tQLpF7G06EkrRzi8n9mEY&e=>). The course will take place on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7-8:15pm in HW 611. For those enrolled in the Human Rights Program (either the Minor or Certificate), this cognate qualifies as a human rights elective; please check out our full list of human rights courses, including those offered in other departments, here<http://www.roosevelthouse.hunter.cuny.edu/hrp/hrp-courses/spring-2018-human-rights-courses/>.

We hope you are able to take advantage of these wonderful courses! We encourage you to register as soon as possible to reserve your seat. Please see the flyers attached for more information about all our courses.

Thanks so much,
Kelsey

--
Kelsey Adolphs