STUDENTCAUCUS-L Archives

May 2003, Week 2

STUDENTCAUCUS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arielle Kuperberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arielle Kuperberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 23:49:05 -0400
Hmm, well this affects me, as i live in the dorms.  My personal problem is that if cuny honors scholors are getting priority, why aren't the other honors programs getting priority, especially since cuny honors isn't fully affiliated with hunter college( they take classes at other places, like the graduate center, etc.). Also, the upper level honors program (thomas hunter honors program) doesn't have that many advantages, apart from early registration, and it would be nice if they had dorm priority.  I know people who didn't join the program, because they were just like "why would i want to write more papers?"

 my other problem, which i heard recently, and which really distrubed me, is that i found out that the tech fee commitee put the internet acess on the floors that are "honors floors' (floors where the majority of student are honors students) while the other floors aren't getting this.  it isn't enough they get a free room, now their getting free internet acess, whlie the rest of us, who also pay the tech fee, are paying addional money for the same privalage?

so basically my point is this:1. if their goign to have priority for honors students, it should be for all honors students and not just cuny honors students

2. they shouldn't be getting so many privalages, which is paid for out of the tech fee we pay.

also i have a third point.  at this time, new york state residents are getting a major advantage when it comes to gettinga  dorm room- they have 50 points added to their "score" (other ways to get points is to have a high gpa, high class standing, and live far away from the dorms within nys).  what the hell is up with that?  Out of state students (such as myself) pay twice as much tuition, and now we have to go and pay high rents too?  this is especially not understandable for students who are coming here from california, who are afraid and alone, and they're not getting into the dorms (unless of course they are a cuny honors student, or an athlete)

case in point, my situation was as follows when i applied last year-

i had a 3.9 gpa, was a juinior, was in the thomas hunter honors program, and i had a 2 hour each way commute that i had been traveling for 2 years, but i still got wait listed.  the only reason i got in was because of my personal connections- since i work at hunter, i had my boss call the director of the dorms.  and she had to beg her to let me in.

so yeah, those are my thoughts.  responses?

~Arielle Kuperberg

Senator