AILACTD-L Archives

June 2017

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
"ennis, robert h" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2017 22:45:46 +0000
Members of AILACT,

Tony Blair is right. My interest has all along been in the content of critical thinking courses, and I thought it would be helpful to survey AILACT membership. I also thought that a good way to do the survey would be to ask members how they feel about defining argument as attempted justification rather than, for example, attempted persuasion or other causal process, assuming that arguments (including simple ones) are a key feature of a critical thinking course. I regret that my suggestion caused so much confusion, but still wonder whether inquiring about support for the justification definition of ‘argument’ would be a quick simple way to solicit input from AILACT members.

I believe that other activities than formulating and judging arguments are important in critical thinking courses too, for example, investigating/inquiring and clarifying, which we haven’t discussed, but doing so would probably make things too complicated at this point.

Bob Ennis