AILACTD-L Archives

June 2017

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Donald Lazere <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:24:32 -0400
Of course, Bob.

I’m just more inclined to approach CT empirically, starting from actual arguments—preferably in the public sphere—and deriving CT topics and definitions in the context of what’s going on in them, logically and rhetorically.

A propos, I’m just this minute working on the chapter on fallacies for a new edition of my textbook Reading and Writing for Civic Literacy: The Critical Citizen’s Guide to Argumentative Rhetoric.  My younger co-author Anne-Marie Womack, has written some good articles on rhetorical analysis of fallacies, emphasizing the debatability of what is or is not a fallacious argument.

Don